Wireless Connection - Mac Mini

Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone know how to get my wireless system working?

I have a Mac Mini that came without any wireless cards. Up until recently I have been connecting to the internet with wires.

I have now got a USB wireless Lan Adapter which I am told that once I plug in to my USB port would connect me wirelessly to the internet. This does not work. It seems to show the available networks but no connection. The Adapter is from PCI (GW – US54GXS).

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you install the Mac driver for the adapter? Link

Regards.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You say it shows you the available networks? What Networks are these? Do you have WiFi where you live?

If these networks are neighbors, it's against the law to take their internet.

If you do have a WiFi router, what Encryption is it using?

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks both.
Yes I have downloaded the Mac driver - this came with the Adaptor on a CD.

I am not breaking the law by using the neighbours connection. I have my own connection. The networks that are showing are from my Airport Express base station and my Netgear wireless router. My internet provider is Virgin Media. I currently have a 2 PCs connected wirelessly. The problem is that I have an old mini and I would like to connect that also wirelessly for my sons room.
Where would I find the encryption for my wireless? Once I have got this what would I need to do to set up the connection?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Let me ask this really fast. You see the networks, what happens when you try to join one by clicking on it? Does it ask for a key or just error out?

OP
P
Reaction score
It asks for a key.

I have put in various bits of information in different places but cant be sure that I am doing the riight thing. If you are able to tell me what information to put in and where then at least I know Im doing the right thing before I can say its not working.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.