I want to convert!

Reaction score
Newbie here so be gentle!

I'm a windows and occasional Vista user but want to be introduced to the world of the mac!

I want to know that i'll get along with it so don't wanna spend too much so i have two options
1. Get an old G4 powermac
2. Buy a couple of damaged iMacs and build them up

I have quite a lot of experience building windows PCs but know NOTHING about Macs! How difficult would it be to but an iMac with a damaged screen but ok board etc and buy one with a screen that worked and combine them to make a working machine?

ANY help is very much appreciated!:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If you can go for an Intel unit to kick things off. There is nothing wrong with G4/G5, but in terms of longevity a Intel unit may be a decision you look back on and appreciate.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I think this would be a good gauge on how difficult it would be to fix the iMac.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

so how plausible is my idea of making one from broken bits? don't want to commit too much cash until I know I like the os!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
There are numerous example on sites like YouTube of guys building working computers from broken ones. Judging from what you say, you would be happier working inside a tower machine. Therefore I suggest hunting out a later model PPC G4, or better still, a PPC G5. Have you checked Buy/Sell/Trade - Mac-Forums.com

If an iMac G3 is daunting in terms of working inside them (they can be VERY challenging), consider a G4 iMac.

The advice about Intel is sound, but the earliest, and for you probably the most affordable, model is the 2006 G5 iMac. As CR's provided link suggests, working inside them is not for the faint-hearted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.