My brand new mac doesn't run doom 3

Reaction score
Recently bought a brand new imac with leopard 10.5.8

I installed doom 3 and clicked the icon but i just get a black screen.

When i press cmd+alt+esc to get back to the desktop all my icons jumble up in the centre of the screen.

Please can somebody tell me why this happens and/or tell me how i can get doom 3 to run properly.

Thanks in advance.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I take it this is the Mac version, right?

You mentioned that you have 10.5.8 - 10.5.7 just came out earlier this week. I'd imagine this is a typo. Did you run Software Update to make sure it's completely up to date?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7
10.5.8 isn't out yet.

Maybe it's 10.5.7, or 10.5.6.

Anyway, about this Doom3, it sounds like one of those trojan worm thingys that Microsoft Windows gets, but i highly doubt you have anything as you're on a Mac, and there are only about 3 trojans officially confirmed in Mac history.

I'd reinstall it, and check to see if your computer gets hot and puffy when you start playing the game. If so, I would suspect that the game either contains corrupted files, or needs to be reinstalled.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 inch/iPhone 3G
I had the same issue and the patch took care of the black screen. But now I'm having trouble loading the next level after the marine gets to Mars. It tries to load and gets about halfway through but then goes to the main menu. I've tried it several times and same thing keeps happening. I have 2009 24 inch iMac running at 2.66 ghz with 4gb of ram. Anyone else having this issue or had this issue? Any ideas on what might be causing it? Thanks!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.