Samsung, Napster aim to mirror iPod, iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Source: MacMinute.com

Samsung, Napster aim to mirror iPod, iTunes
September 17, 2003 - 13:23 EDT Apparently taking a cue from the tight integration of Apple's iPod and iTunes Music Store, Samsung has announced plans to co-market a new line of digital music players with the soon-to-be-relaunched Napster 2.0 service. The Samsung-Napster YP-910 Player includes a 20GB hard drive, measures 108 millimeters by 70 millimeters by 20 millimeters ("a little on the thick side"), weighs 60 grams ("a third the weight of the 40GB iPod"), and supports both MP3 and Windows Media Audio files. It also offers USB 2.0, an FM radio, and a rechargeable battery for up to 10 hours of use. "Samsung is trying to do what Apple Computer has done with its iPod music players and iTunes online music store," said Michael Kelleher, an analyst with market research firm Yankee Group in Boston.

My Comments: This actually seems quite kewl.. it's half the size of the 40 GB.. has about triple the battery life... I believe. Supports the main audio file types, although it doesn't have AAC. FM Radio with a FM transmitter.. very very kewl.. Less than half the weight, although slightly larger. Plus it can record from the radio/CD etc.. Although it doesn't have pricing.. it would be interesting to see what they are charging for this. I love it when people do this.. this will ultimately provide competition for Apple which means we'll see better iPods in the future and I don't just mean bigger hard drives.. I mean built in things like the fm transmitter, recording capabilities, etc etc.. so they can stay competitive. I love competition! It really enriches the products we use :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I thought the same thing you said Murlyn :) With this addition, just think of what the Apple iPod will be! wow, this looks to be pretty cool!

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Napster 2.0 downloads incompatible with iPod

Napster 2.0 downloads incompatible with iPod
October 9, 2003 - 10:49 EDT Wired News reports that Napster 2.0 and the iPod don't play nice together: "With its relaunch on Thursday, Napster, the most notorious name in music downloads, will collide with the hottest music player on the market, the iPod. That's because music downloaded from Napster will not be playable on Apple's insanely popular iPod. The newly legal Napster service and the iPod use incompatible file formats... Napster 2.0 is joining an ever-growing field of paid music services like Musicmatch and BuyMusic.com. These download services offer songs in Windows Media Audio, or WMA, format, the same format used by Napster."

My Comments: I think this isn't going to go very far once Apple's iTunes store comes out for the PC

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Since Apple has the biggest market share of MP3 player, this move will hurt Napster more than it does Apple.

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, but I was hoping for something that would actually compete with Apple that way Apple will step it up even more and give us even better products.. they already do awesome at that, but with more compitition results in better products for us.

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Analyst expects Napster to lead online music market

Analyst expects Napster to lead online music market
October 19, 2003 - 20:00 EDT Gene Munster, a senior research analyst with investment bank US Bancorp Piper Jaffray, told the Boston Globe this week that he expects Napster to lead the online music market with a 30 percent share and iTunes, with a combination of Mac and Windows users, to be in second, with 20 percent. Apple said it held 70 percent of the market before launching iTunes for Windows last week.

My Comments: Hmm.. well like I said above :) We'll see the real world stats

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess it all depends on who they poll?

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Napster to offer prepaid cards

Napster to offer prepaid cards
October 27, 2003 - 03:45 EST* Napster is planning to offer prepaid cards at retail stores after it launches its online music service on Wednesday, reports Reuters. The Napster Card will be priced at US$14.85, providing the user with 15 song downloads. The company says that the new card is geared towards teenagers without credit cards and as gifts.

My Comments: I guess this is their version of iTunes gift certificates and allowances..

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think it is going to work.

C

creat10n

apple has always been a wildcard in the market share competition game. they got shoved to the wayside way back when by not improving while the Wintel market boomed. hopefully they can stay on top, but depending on the fickleness of the product managers the iPod may be dethroned due to a lack of development.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
i think the 1million song give-away by the pepsi/itunes campaign will make a big difference in this competition.. especially if some of the prizes are ipods

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
creat10n said:
apple has always been a wildcard in the market share competition game. they got shoved to the wayside way back when by not improving while the Wintel market boomed. hopefully they can stay on top, but depending on the fickleness of the product managers the iPod may be dethroned due to a lack of development.

You know, the only reason apple got kicked back, is because the fired steve jobs and they have expensive computers. People went for price, not quality.

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iTunes dwarfs Napster sales; holds 80% market share

iTunes dwarfs Napster sales; holds 80% market share
November 6, 2003 - 15:18 EST Apple said today that 1.5 million songs were downloaded from the iTunes Music Store during the same period that Napster reported selling 300,000 songs. More than 17 million songs have been purchased and downloaded from the iTunes Music Store since it launched in April. As noted in our coverage of Apple's analyst meeting, Nielsen SoundScan shows the iTunes Music Store had more than 80 percent market share of legally purchased downloads last week.

My Comments: Go iTunes, go iTunes! Woot woot :)

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Napster: 'We will take market share from Apple'

Napster: 'We will take market share from Apple'
November 7, 2003 - 16:00 EST Roxio CEO Chris Gorog has responded to Apple's statement regarding the market share numbers of iTunes Link Maker and the Roxio-owned Napster music service. "We expect as soon as we get the word out to consumers that Napster is back, it will significantly impact our growth," Gorog told TechNewsWorld. "We would also expect to be taking away market share from Apple on a weekly basis." He also questioned Apple's figures from Nielsen SoundScan, saying they did not include Napster's results. Gorog said Apple's claim of 80 percent market share was reduced to 62 percent when Napster's 23 percent was considered. "In our first week, we did 36 percent of Apple's business, which we think is an extraordinary start for us," he said.

My Comments: I guess we'll just see about that!

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Napster Mac Beta?

Source: MacRumors.com

Napster Mac Beta?
Friday November 07, 2003 05:29 PM

According to TheRegister.co.uk, Napster is working on Mac client.

Kendig, however, assured us that Napster has some Mac software in beta that would allow songs to be played on Apple computers. Interesting.

Napster uses Windows Media 9 formatted music files with the associated Windows Digital Rights Management system. Coincidentally, Microsoft released of Windows Media Player 9 for OS X today.

My Comments: Im just not sure how they could improve upon iTunes.. I guess we'll see!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is Napster creating jukebox for the Apple hardware using windows media 9 as the player?

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's kind of what it sounds like doesnt it..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.