wired client won't acess internet over airport

W

whatigonnado

Hi all,
I'm suffering from major network meltdown. I created a simple network with my imac connected to the LAN port and DSL to the WAN port of my airport base station and an ibook with an airport card. The ibook accesses the internet no problem but the wired client won't connect. I set up the base station through the ibook and then adjusted the settings according to Apple. My isp uses PPPoE so I configured the base station accordingly using the airport admin with the wireless client using DHCP. Ok, that works but my wired client(the imac), configured: Location - Automatic, Show - Built-in-Ethernet, Configure - using DHCP, grays out the connection button when I click the ethernet icon in the menu bar. In fact when I apply the settings a connection window for the internal modem pops up. It's like Built in Ethernet is no longer available!
I've tried to create new locations and even tried to disable the the internal modem but then Internet connect opens and asks me to create a VPN setting!!!!!! What happened to built-in-ethernet?!?
The imac will connect to the internet if I plug the modem into it and change the network settings to PPPoE. I have tried everything I can think of - rebooting everything, resetting the modem, the base station etc.
Can anyone tell me how to fix this?
Please help!

moz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 ibook 1.33, 512 ram, 80gig hd, bluetooth and airport
one question, has this network ever worked???
im not going to pretend that im a great networking genius but the reason why i ask is that it sounds like you have too many cables in the equation!! :confused:

OP
W

whatigonnado

moz said:
one question, has this network ever worked???
im not going to pretend that im a great networking genius but the reason why i ask is that it sounds like you have too many cables in the equation!! :confused:

Yep, but I set it up about a year ago and then I moved away so now that I'm back I don't remember how this time is different.
The network is as simple as it gets: Two computers (one wired - one wireless) and a modem. One cable to the modem, one cable to one computer.

moz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry cant be much help :bandage:
the way i have my network is ...

cable modem > ethernet connection into wireless router > ethernet connection from router to my G3 > i then set up my ibook using the airport card (airport is set to join automatically and ipv4 is using dhcp)

hope you get it sorted

OP
W

whatigonnado

That is exactly the same set up as mine - your wireless router = my base station. The questions is, what is the tcp/ip configuration on your G3? My config is as above... My ibook is connecting to the internet fine but the ethernet client (my G3) can't connect because when I configure TCP/IP as per Apple, the connect button on Internet Connect panel grays out!

moz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
whatigonnado said:
That is exactly the same set up as mine - your wireless router = my base station. The questions is, what is the tcp/ip configuration on your G3? My config is as above... My ibook is connecting to the internet fine but the ethernet client (my G3) can't connect because when I configure TCP/IP as per Apple, the connect button on Internet Connect panel grays out!

my g3 uses built in ethernet and dhcp not pppoe
it is a very strange fault!!! im in work atm ill have another look at my connection when i get in and see if i can spot anything out of the ordinary !!!

OP
W

whatigonnado

My G3 is supposed to be set for Built-in-Ethernet and DHCP too (which it is) but the base station is configured for PPPoE and distributing IP using NAT because my ISP uses PPPoE.

OP
K

Kokopelli

Open System Preferences, Network, and select the appropriate network interface (wireless for iBook, Ethernet for the iMac) Then go to the TCP/IP tab. They should both be set to DHCP and be assigned an address. If the iMac does not have an address make sure you do not have connect over PPPoE checked. the router is communicating through PPPoE not your iMac. Your iMac is communicating with the router via standard TCP/IP and then the router is sending the request on.

If all the above is still not working let us know if the iMac has an address at all. If not try switching the copper to another port (not the WAN because that needs to go to the outside)

EDIT2: it is possible it is simply a bad cable, have you tried replacing the ethernet cable going to the iMac?

OP
W

whatigonnado

Hmmm, all i did was switch the cables from modem /base station to base station/ imac and voila! she works. thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.