Looking for new mouse and ram advice for MBP

34t

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I have a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 Ghz Santa Rosa MBP, 15".

I am looking to buy a mouse with at least 7 buttons for my MBP. More specifically, a mouse that has a tilt scroll wheel (tilt side-to-side) and two thumb buttons. I'm set on this configuration because I plan on binding the tilt wheel to Back/Forward in a browser and the side buttons to refresh/close tab. The only other feature I'm looking for is size because my hands are big.

I've seen the Mouse sticky, but it was light on information about functionality or user experience.

I tried the MightyMouse, but it doesn't have enough buttons for my needs.

I purchased the Logitech MX 1100 mouse, and sadly it's proven to be quite awkward. I'm going to play with it some more, but I think I will return it, especially since I payed 87 USD for it. I only know of Logitech as a mac mouse manufacturer and the other choices (MX Revolution, VX Revolution) don't seem too appealing either :(

Finally I found the USBOVERDRIVE application. I've yet to use it, but does anyone know if they've been able to get all the features of non-mac mice working with this application?

The other issue I'm looking into is upgrading my MBP's ram form 2 gigs to 4. I believe Apple uses Samsung RAM and a local Apple shop can do the upgrade (including labor) for 275 USD. Is this "apple certified" RAM any better than Crucial or Kingston RAM? I've been able to find kits of such ram (2x2gig) for less than 100 USD online. Installation also seems fairly straight-forward.

Would greatly appreciate thoughts and advice!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No, that RAM is not any better than Crucial or Kingston.

You should be in the $40-$50 price range for 4 GB of DDR2 memory - if not, check out newegg. $275? Think I can do it for $250 and pay for next day air both ways.

I really like my MX Revolution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Personally on my PC I am using the logitech g9 mouse, I have to say that I'm in love. It has a nice fat grip and well many other features that you will find helpful.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Wow I wish I had the heart to price gouge people for installing hardware. >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Bob you may be on to the next big money making idea !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
i have same MBP and bumped mine from 2 - 4GB - Do it yourself, the manual that comes with it spells it out - even non techies could do it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.