Picture preview question

Reaction score
Just a general question in which i'm sure i'm doing something stupid.

I'm a new mac user and I am a photographer when i'm previewing pictures in windows i can use the arrow keys to go to the next picture quickly.

On my mac I can't seem to do that opening a picture with the default picture preview. Even by pressing command+the left or right arrow key. The go flickers as if it recognized the command but it doesn't go to the next picture.

All the pictures are in one folder shouldn't it be able to go to the next one?

Thank you!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Have you tried dragging the folder onto Preview on your dock? That way you can look at all the pictures in the folder with the arrow keys or through a slide show if you wanted.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
How are you opening the picture? If you are actually opening the file, then No, the left and right arrows will not work.

While you are browsing the folder in Finder, highlight a pic and hit the space bar to open it in preview - this will allow you to move through your pics using the left and right arrow keys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
Photos

download Xee, Xee
it will do everything you want, a great alternative to preview

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.