Bluetooth Mighty Mouse

Reaction score
I'm purchasing a new macbook and I want to get a new mouse since I get tired of touchpads and I'm getting rid of my old mouse. The bluetooth mighty mouse that apple makes has all of the features I want, but I've heard a lot of mixed reviews. Has anyone had any problems with their mighty mouse that were big enough to make them reconsider their purchase or are the reviews I'm reading written by whiny unintelligent users?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
I have the bluetooth mighty mouse and I find it fantastic for all my photo and video editing needs. You can check out the battery level using iStat and it just seems to work!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
My guess is that the biggest issue with Mighty Mouse is that bods do not take the time to know how they work. Most using a Microsoft 2 button mouse will be in the habit of resting 2 fingers on the switches. Mighty Mouse has 3 proximity sensors and only one switch that clicks with downward pressure, so if you are resting fingers in both the left and right button positions then the mouse does not know which action you are trying to perform - hence complaints about it not doing the deed as expected. Having used a wireless MM for years i would not change but still mess it up once in a while cause i have 2 fingers on it at once.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Forgot to say - for me the best feature is the scroll ball - it seems to be much smoother with smaller increments than others i have tried.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Aluminum unibody MBP, Intel core duo 2.4GHz proc, 4MB DDR3 RAM,
I have a MM and I hate it, mostly because it feels ungainly and unnecessarily large. I've retired it to my boyfriend (who also hates it) and bought a Microsoft BT mouse that I absolutely love.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
I love my MM! Don't mind the size (and I came froim a MacAlly Micro mouse), trackball works wonderfully, all is good with it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MB, 2.1GHz 4GB RAM, 10.5.8
I certainly fall into the "love" category with my MM. Just brilliant. The arguments the "haters" throw out just confuse me! But its all subjective this stuff!

Reaction score
Have one, since last August. In general, we like it. Have had a few problems with loss of connectivity, but once you learn how to deal with that, it's relatively trouble-free. I wouldn't trade it for a wired mouse: we do move the iMac sometimes and having the wireless mouse and keyboard makes that process easier. Not to mention a clutter-free appearance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8 core 2.8GHz 14GB RAM, Geforce 8800GT, Dell 3008WFP
I've never been able to use a Mighty Mouse for any length of time without getting pain in my hand. I find the size and total lack of height that other mice have causes me some problems.

Ultimately whether it suits you or not is going to depend on your hand and what you're used to. Perhaps it might be an idea to pop into an Apple store and try using one for a while to see if the size is right for you.

Personally I've used Microsoft Intellieye Explorers and now a Razer Deathadder Mac and find the raised ergonomics very nice for my hand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The scroll ball tends to gunge up after a while and it stops responding correctly...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The scroll ball tends to gunge up after a while and it stops responding correctly...

That right there is the only issue I have with the Mighty Mouse. Otherwise when it's working properly I love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have 2 - when one picks up dirt i go here and use the other while i clean it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
if you hold the mouse upside down and roll the ball around on a damp cloth, that usually helps ungunk it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One other short term help is to turn upside down with finger on scroll ball and hold vacuum cleaner hose to opposite side of scrolling finger and roll it around while sucking. Does not get oily stuff off of rollers but can remove gritty bits.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
"It just works" ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
I'm purchasing a new macbook and I want to get a new mouse since I get tired of touchpads and I'm getting rid of my old mouse. The bluetooth mighty mouse that apple makes has all of the features I want, but I've heard a lot of mixed reviews. Has anyone had any problems with their mighty mouse that were big enough to make them reconsider their purchase or are the reviews I'm reading written by whiny unintelligent users?

Works fine. It's identical to the wired one (with the same tendency for the trackball to get sticky).

Battery life seems OK, haven't kept count but reckon I have replaced at most 2 sets of batteries in the year I've had mine.

No problems with connection. Have never tested range, but I have never known it not to work.

I think it's great.

I'd suggest get yourself a BT keyboard to go with it. It's slightly annoying in having a few keys missing (eg no delete key, you have to backspace), but the freedom you get more than makes up for it. (ditto on batteries, they last for months).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz intel core2duo,ati HD2400, aluminum 20" with a 1gig of ddr2 800mhz. 250gig HD OSx (10.5.6)
I've been on a mighty mouse simply for compatibilty versus buying a sleek, RF MS mouse.. That aside, my only complaint has been having to squeeze the crap out of the thing to switch windows. With the batteries installed, it's does feel somewhat heavy; and using it as a "two button" mouse, I've found myself having to click a few times more often than i'd normally would with a MS mouse.. Having to do this once or twice isn't too painful but everyday, with nearly every app requiring you to readjust where your fingers are can be. i lost connectivity on it once which i believe was a fluke of luck but never ever since. Still using the supplied batteries it came with which is a surprise.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.