hard drive space disappearing

Reaction score
I have a G5 PPC TOWER and I am finding that the available space on the drive is inexplicably disappearing. I just thought the drive was so full (had only 1-2GB available) that the descent to zero bytes available was due to programs usage and disk fragmentation. So I installed a new internal and moved 50gb to the new drive. However the next day, the space went from 50GB to 14GB. What's going on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
How many apps do you have running at once?

OP
R
Reaction score
apps that are active

I have been known to simultaniously run photoshop, quark, word, mail, acrobat, firefox, safari, sometime dreamweaver 8 and itunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Using all those apps simultaneously shouldn't have hogged all that disk space, even temporarily.

When you put a replacement HD (what size?) in the G5, did you Archive & Install the OS. If so, a duplicate System (called Previous System - PS) will have also have been installed, and it will occupy a significant portion of the HD. If you do have a PS, and your new setup is operating to your satisfaction, you can safely delete the PS.

The only other thought is TechTool. If you are using that, and have it set to back up files daily, it will chew up HD space very quickly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.