Automount Shared Drives -- Petition?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
I tried to post this on Apple's support forum. It got ditched even before it saw the light of day. Any idea how to turn this into a petition? Here is the original post:

------

Apple, you need to spill your guts here and tell us why on Earth OS X does not automatically remount shared drives after waking up from sleep or after login. I mean you have all these new products like Time Capsule and Airport Extreme that offer external hard drive sharing etc. but having to remount a shared hard drive manually by going to network computers and browsing to shares in order to remount them is absolute madness! I mean you have the access to a network machine in the key chain, would it hurt you to have a little script built into the system to check mounted shares and automatically remount them if connection was lost during sleep.

There are many situations where users need this (duh!), one of my specific situation is that I often use Dreamweaver to load local sites from my Macbook Pro that reside on my Mac Pro. Every time I start DW it tells me that the local site is not available. Then I have to remember to just browse to the network location and voila! OS X remounts the netword drive. Then I go back to DW. But this really has to stop.

Apple, you need to go to your local Walmart, pickup any Windows, connect it to your local network, create a network drive on it and forget it is a network drive altogether. Windows is so good at keeping network drive connections persistent that you really need to look at this and learn.

The focus is that I, like millions of others, want Apple to include persistent network drive mounts in the very next incremental update to the OS.

This should not even be an issue. Windows is doing this since circa Windows 95. I am an otherwise happy convert to Mac for several years now but if there is one issue that will get me to switch back it is this. It hurts my intelligence and is very annoying.

-----

I viewed a lot of discussions online about this. There are half-assed workarounds people came up with but what really needs to happen is Apple needs to fix this annoyance with the next incremental update. Can we start a petition. Do we have to do that?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.