Image internal HDD from external enclosure?

Reaction score
Greetings...

Quick question for you mac geniuses out there. I have a Mac mini and a SATA drive from my last mini. (Same hardware so the image should be compatable)

My question is this... what is the easiest way to image the HDD? The HDD I currently have (with the image on it) is smaller than the HDD that is currently in the mini (the images destination). I can do this without a problem on a windows box, but how do you go about it on a Mac?

I am assuming an external enclosure would be needed. Will any 3.5" enclosure work? Or would a 2.5" enclosure be required?

Thanks for your time. If anyone needs any clarification on what I am asking please let me know.;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I assume you want to make an image of the old and put it on the new. Why go through all that trouble when you can just connect the two by ethernet cable and use the Migration Assistant to copy your User data and apps over more easily?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.