Printing & save to pdf problems!

Reaction score
Hi all,

I hope this the right section here.

I have two problems and tried everything I know:

1. In any given program I sometimes use cmd+p -> save pdf, tiff, etc.

Without any apparent reason this doesn't work anymore and I was ask to reinstall this feature. How? From where?

Please advise...

2. I have installed my HP Printer and it can't be found:

I have installed the printer using the latest available edition of the driver that HP has provided on their download center on their website.

I have installed the driver and it the installation did not cause any difficulties . The printer was recognised by the setup program with the serial number of the printer and all.

Using any document, may it be an email or any other ordinary text document, the printer connection would pop up and not show my machine. Pressing the "add"-button would not allow me to choose my printer nor would the path systemPrefs -> Printer&Fax etc. bring a solution.

Before I completely loose my temper with this MacBook, I thought I might ask:

Please help!

Thanks in advance...

Fabian

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
So, in other words, the problem is not in being able to print, but the fact that the printer is actually not installed.

If you did not run the HP uninstaller prior to installing the new software/driver, use it now and then re-install the software, making sure to follow HP's directions. The uninstaller will be in the HP folder in Applications. After this make sure there is no printer shown in System Preferences prior to starting the install.

Need to be able to at least print using the File/Print menu before attacking the shortcut issue.

And what model Mac, printer and OS are you using? And, how is the printer attached to the Mac?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, still run that HP uninstaller to eliminate the remnants of all prior installs.

OP
F
Reaction score
I did... still no progress!

I guess I have to see my shrink, because I get mocked by my printer !!! Aarrrrgh!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Just to rule out a dead USB port, have you tried connecting your printer to another USB port on your Mac ?

Cheers ... McBie

OP
F
Reaction score
Let me give you the whole picture as you are being so longanimous:
see pics...

I have also checked the USB Ports with my mouse, it works on both ports.

BTW: My GF is able to print with her MB and the same cable, so this rules out the printer and the cable, I guess....

Picture 4.png

Picture 5.png

Picture 6.png

Picture 7.png

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still would like to know what model printer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Don't know this by heart but is the psc 1400 driver set different from the psc 1315 ( which is what I have )

Cheers ... McBie

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A lot of issues with the PSC 1200-1400 series HP printers and Leopard. Quite a few have been unsuccessful at getting them to work. None of these drivers have been updated for Leopard.

HP's suggestion is to buy a new printer if you call them.
Here is a link to what they have on their site which suggests using the drivers supplied with Leopard should work. (Note: You should disconnect the printer from your machine, remove the HP driver you have installed and remove it from Printers if it is shown there and then reconnect it.) - link - There has been limited success with this method.

You can also try this.

(I assume after installing the driver, you have given it time to show up when trying to add the printer in Printer system preferences - it can take a minute or so for it to appear sometimes.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.