Broken USB port?

Reaction score
So all of the sudden one of my USB ports on a 2 week old macbook doesn't recognize anything. It does however charge my iPod. It's the one closer to the front of the computer. When I have something in there (whether a mouse, ipod, or external harddrive) nothing happens. Is there anyway to see what could be wrong either through the OS or through the hardware?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Let's start simple. Open up System Profiler (either in /Applications/Utilities/ or go to Apple Menu > About This Mac > More Info...). Is the iPod listed under Hardware > USB? Mine, for instance, is listed under "USB High-Speed Bus" as "iPod".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
So all of the sudden one of my USB ports on a 2 week old macbook doesn't recognize anything. It does however charge my iPod. It's the one closer to the front of the computer. When I have something in there (whether a mouse, ipod, or external harddrive) nothing happens. Is there anyway to see what could be wrong either through the OS or through the hardware?

here is how you fix it. It is not broken:)
this is what you should do
1. Turn off the computer with the power cable connected by holding the power button down until it shuts off.
2. Unplug the power cable.
3. Open the battery compartment.
4. Take the battery out.
5. Press the power button to eliminate any extra power running around.
6. When you know there is no power, put the battery back in, and also the cover.
7. plug it in just to make sure.
8. Then turn in on.

GOOD LUCK:D

I had the same problem, but the apple store gave me a new because I was kind of upset that it did happen. But they fixed in under 1 minute with those steps. You need to unplug all the power to reset the board that connects everything together...i forgot what he called it...something with 3 letters though

OP
T
Reaction score
here is how you fix it. It is not broken:)
this is what you should do
1. Turn off the computer with the power cable connected by holding the power button down until it shuts off.
2. Unplug the power cable.
3. Open the battery compartment.
4. Take the battery out.
5. Press the power button to eliminate any extra power running around.
6. When you know there is no power, put the battery back in, and also the cover.
7. plug it in just to make sure.
8. Then turn in on.

GOOD LUCK:D

I had the same problem, but the apple store gave me a new because I was kind of upset that it did happen. But they fixed in under 1 minute with those steps. You need to unplug all the power to reset the board that connects everything together...i forgot what he called it...something with 3 letters though

Thank you very much! That worked and I was a bit skeptical of it...PMU is that what you're referring to? ANyway it worked! Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
No problem! Glad I could help:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
I got this response on other forum:
"sounds like a logic board problem, since you have tested just about everything possible.
(removing battery wont help either, it does essentially the same as pram reset.)"

Is it true?
Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.