New VeriSign service angers Web users

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Source: MacMinute.com

New VeriSign service angers Web users
September 17, 2003 - 12:58 EDT CNET News.com reports that criticism is quickly growing (dead link removed) over VeriSign's decision to take control of all unassigned .com and .net domain names. "On Monday, VeriSign began to redirect domain lookups for misspelled or nonexistent names to its own site, a process that has confused Internet e-mail utilities and drawn angry denunciations of the company's business practices from frustrated network administrators. The Mountain View, Calif.-based company enjoys a government-granted monopoly as the master database administrator for .com and .net."

My Comments: This company has really done quite a lot of dubious things in the name of business. I refuse to work with them and always use Make Your Own Way | GoDaddy for all my registration needs. It's unbelievable what Verisign will do and has done in the past.. and I cant believe people still register domain names through them.. it's just insane :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Neither. Never have used them, and this just makes it less likely.

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
VeriSign to suspend Site Finder service

Source: MacMinute.com

VeriSign to suspend Site Finder service
October 4, 2003 - 11:40 EDT VeriSign has made plans to shut down (dead link removed) its controversial Site Finder service, which redirects mistyped and misspelled URLs to its own site, after the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) stepped in. "In a letter sent to VeriSign on Friday, ICANN CEO Paul Twomey told the domain name registrar that it had until 6 p.m. PDT Saturday to comply with a request to take down the SiteFinder service," reports CNET News.com. ICANN is the nonprofit organization responsible for administering Internet domain names.

My Comments: Good!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.