superdrive not working

Reaction score
Hi there guys,

When I put a dvd in my new superdrive on my macbook air, an icon pops up saying cant find dvd drive. I have had the superdrive about a month and only watched three dvd's on it!
Any help guys?

Regards

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is it an Apple Superdrive or third party model? Either one, the drive may have failed. Try it on another machine if you have one handy - it can even be a PC. (Also try the drive plugged into a different port on the Air.) If it mounts and works, it's probably OK. If not, return the drive under the warranty.

Regards.

Reaction score
As the Air has only one port some have tried putting in a usb hub which will work for many things but not the superdrive it must be connected directly into the usb port and it is no use connecting it to any other computer than a Mac air as it will not work. Other dvd drives like my Sony work fine and I have had three external hard drives connected at the same time without a problem. I also bought a Iomega Helium for my time machine backup and that will only work when directly connected too. Hope this helps but if you are connecting directly with your superdrive and it is not working you need to take it to a service agent or the store you bought it from but I should take the Air too as the problem may be in that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.