Move g5 into mac pro case

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 ghz 2gb ram 250gb hd 7200 rpm
I want to move my 2.3 ghz g5 into a mac pro case and add a blue ray to it. Is that do-able or just stupid... Kinda new to macs. I already run dual monitors and i'm about to purchase 8 gigs of ram from crucial.

thanks

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Is your G5 a PowerMac, because if it is. It should be in a case like the Mac Pro.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 ghz 2gb ram 250gb hd 7200 rpm
yeah it is. But the mac pro has an extra cd rom bin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8 core 2.8GHz 14GB RAM, Geforce 8800GT, Dell 3008WFP
I may be wrong here but I don't think Blu-ray is supported in Mac OS X as of yet.

When the time comes that it is, you'd probably find it easier to get a USB Blu-Ray drive than trying to transplant your system into a case not designed for it.

Reaction score
I want to move my 2.3 ghz g5 into a mac pro case and add a blue ray to it. Is that do-able or just stupid... Kinda new to macs. I already run dual monitors and i'm about to purchase 8 gigs of ram from crucial.

thanks

I always wanted to know how to run two monitors with one CPU. Will you guys tell me how. As I saw that many famous people are using two screens or monitor for them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8 core 2.8GHz 14GB RAM, Geforce 8800GT, Dell 3008WFP
But it also says you can't watch movies unless you use Windows on your Mac. - Something a G5 can't do.

If all you want the drive for is data storage then fair enough.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.