Help needed

M

Mayhem

Hello, I have an iBook G3, 12.1 screen, dual usb. Well, awhile ago I found it had a scrath of some sorts on it somehow. So there is now a nasty looking blot of black around the scratch. I phone Apple and they say it's like $800 to repair it, forget that. Well I found on ebay that I can buy a 12.1 LCD screen(buy itself) with nothing wrong with it for under $100. Two questions:

1)Should I buy it?

2)How would I install it? It'd involve me disassembling my iBook and I want to make sure it I open this baby up, I'm going to know what I am doing.

Thank you,
Mayhem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
What kind of screen is it? Is it an old iBook screen? Or is it just a generic 12" lcd panel?

I'd really try to buy an old iBook screen... you'll probably save yourself a lot of trouble as the screen would already be mounted in the case etc.

Maybe someone else could tell you more about the actual connectors...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
most of those installation type processes are self explanitory, but search online for a how to, or a faq, or basic design information of the ibook. It shouldn't be easy to screw anything up, figure if you do, just plug another monitor into it ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
oh, ha, thats not what i expected. Alright, that could be a little tricky, my guess is start taking off the case and work from there. Im betting once you buy the monitor you will beable to figure it out from there by looking at the back and the way it would fit in there.

OP
R

ryanyogan

You might have to do some soldering, then again I could be wrong and a company might of actually made something easy to fix for once.....

OP
M

Mayhem

I contacted the seller and told me how I could do it, and is VERY simple. Just some unscrewin and unpluggin'.

Thnx for all the help.

Later,
Mayhem

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.