need to go from Leopard back to Tiger....

Reaction score
...but unfortunately I don't OWN Tiger!

Last week I upgraded from Jaguar to Leopard thinking I was being a smart cat, only to find that some vital pieces of software won't run on Leopard.

I am a total n00b, I take it I have to BUY Tiger...are the versions that say "Intel compatible" going to work with my older twin processor 1.8Ghz G5?

Any help would be much appreciated. :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What applications are you trying to run that won't with Leopard? I assume they are quite old.

OP
Reaction score
..wait, I've got my big cats confused.

I WAS running Panther (10.3) not Jaguar....sorry.

OP
Reaction score
What applications are you trying to run that won't with Leopard? I assume they are quite old.

Hi vansmith.

I use my Mac for music production so it's mainly third party virtual instruments (Battery and Trilogy are the two that no longer work).

I only needed to go to 10.4 as I had just bought Final Cut Express and it won't run on 10.3

I should have bought Tiger with hindsight...but the Intel version thing is making me nervous so I thought I'd ask here.

I don't use my Mac for anything other than music and video...not even internet so I'm not worried about having an outdated setup, I just need my existing programmes to work!

Reaction score
I also noticed that when I went frm Tiger to Leopard on my PB G4 1ghz that Video playback has gone to the pot. Ive bene told that its because Leopard moves more processing to the very powerful new GPU's and relies less on the CPU and the RAM. Right or wrong I cannot play HD video on my PB in Leopard. HOpe this helps and doesnt confuse (and is accurate info). I too am going to try and go back to Tiger. Bummer to lose iLife09 and who knows what else I just got used to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi vansmith.

I use my Mac for music production so it's mainly third party virtual instruments (Battery and Trilogy are the two that no longer work).

I did some reading up on what I believe are the products in question here. Trilogy (by Native Instruments) is compatible with 10.5 if you aren't running it under Pro Tools.
NATIVE INSTRUMENTS : Support : Compatibility : Leopard

As for Trilogy (by Spectrasonics), their compatibilty page simply says you need 10.2.6 or higher.
Spectrasonics - Trilogy
There is an issue with Trilogy on Intel-based Macs, and they have a product replacement coming to address that, but you don't have an Intel-based Mac, so this is not an issue. Have you tried either of these programs in Leopard yourself?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The retail version of Tiger is not Intel compatible, so there's no concern there. The only versions of Tiger that work on Intel came packaged with the machines, so if you're shopping for a Tiger disc, make sure you get the retail version. Gray discs are system restore discs and are specific to the hardware they were sold with.

In short, if you really want to go to Tiger, be sure whichever copy you buy is a retail disc.

OP
Reaction score
I did some reading up on what I believe are the products in question here. Trilogy (by Native Instruments) is compatible with 10.5 if you aren't running it under Pro Tools.
NATIVE INSTRUMENTS : Support : Compatibility : Leopard

As for Trilogy (by Spectrasonics), their compatibilty page simply says you need 10.2.6 or higher.
Spectrasonics - Trilogy
There is an issue with Trilogy on Intel-based Macs, and they have a product replacement coming to address that, but you don't have an Intel-based Mac, so this is not an issue. Have you tried either of these programs in Leopard yourself?

Hi lifeisabeach, thanks for the help.

Once I had finished installing Leopard, I opened up Logic but it failed to authorise Trilogy and Battery.

It had no problem with the other software I have (East West Gold orchestra library and Toontrack vintage drums) but I tried without success to authenticate the non working programmes.

I contacted both companies who told me that they weren't yet tested with Leopard...although I don't know if they ever will now.

Battery works as a stand alone programme but not in Logic.

I just need to get back working as quickly as possible, I hate upgrading things for this very reason, but I had no choice as I wanted to use Final Cut.

OP
Reaction score
The retail version of Tiger is not Intel compatible, so there's no concern there. The only versions of Tiger that work on Intel came packaged with the machines, so if you're shopping for a Tiger disc, make sure you get the retail version. Gray discs are system restore discs and are specific to the hardware they were sold with.

In short, if you really want to go to Tiger, be sure whichever copy you buy is a retail disc.

Ah, ok thanks...looks like there's no cheap option for me then!

Can you recommend any good places to buy Tiger...it seems a little hard to come by! I'm in France btw although I'm British...do US versions work for instance or must I buy from my own territory?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi lifeisabeach, thanks for the help.

Once I had finished installing Leopard, I opened up Logic but it failed to authorise Trilogy and Battery.

It had no problem with the other software I have (East West Gold orchestra library and Toontrack vintage drums) but I tried without success to authenticate the non working programmes.

I contacted both companies who told me that they weren't yet tested with Leopard...although I don't know if they ever will now.

Battery works as a stand alone programme but not in Logic.

I just need to get back working as quickly as possible, I hate upgrading things for this very reason, but I had no choice as I wanted to use Final Cut.

It does sound like downgrading to Tiger is your best option for now. If I were you though, I'd be monitoring the situation with your chosen apps very carefully. The fact that they have failed to update to Leopard compatibility at this point, much less Intel compatibility, is not very reassuring of their future. If your existing Mac goes belly-up one day, you certainly will need to be ready to make the jump. I would definitely be checking out alternatives (if there are any) in the meantime.

OP
Reaction score
It does sound like downgrading to Tiger is your best option for now. If I were you though, I'd be monitoring the situation with your chosen apps very carefully. The fact that they have failed to update to Leopard compatibility at this point, much less Intel compatibility, is not very reassuring of their future. If your existing Mac goes belly-up one day, you certainly will need to be ready to make the jump. I would definitely be checking out alternatives (if there are any) in the meantime.
Thanks, I think you're right. I'm sure there may be newer versions (at a price) that will work with Leopard but I don't know if I want to.....I use Logic 7 and I don't want to switch to Logic 8, because frankly, Logic 7 does everything I want it to do!

I hate the cycle of upgrading which is built into everything. The software I use is quite complicated and once you learn it you don't need them messing with it. New versions have features which may be desirable but then often features you liked get dropped.

Anyone got any good ideas for picking up a copy of Tiger?

Reaction score
Have you tried ebay? i've seen copies of Tiger on there in the past.

I agree with a lot of the points raised in this post. I must admit I'm an upgrade ***** but you are quite right 44deluxe half the time its pointless.

For example I used 3DS Max 2010 on the PC today, I haven't seen Max since version 4 and it was still the same app at art just with some fancy looking icons.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yes but to save yourself a lot of trouble, make sure to get the combo update. If you use Software Update, you should have little problem. Should you have to do it manually, you can read this page first.

OP
Reaction score
Yes but to save yourself a lot of trouble, make sure to get the combo update. If you use Software Update, you should have little problem. Should you have to do it manually, you can read this page first.

Thanks vansmith....I'm downloading the combo update. So if I install Tiger and then install the download it'll be a piece of cake right?!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Should be. As long as you get the right one: PPC combo update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.