Resuming downloads.

O

Ofidian

I would like to download Freeway Express free trial, but it is a very large file, and I have dial-up. I thought I might be able to download it in pieces, stopping and resuming, but every time I do, the download starts over.

Is there any way, any way at all to do what I want?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Use a third party download system.. like Speed Download.
or...
use a browser like IE :( or netscape or mozilla those all have resumeable downloads. .. safari get with the program!

OP
O

Ofidian

What?!

Graphite said:
Use a third party download system.. like Speed Download. Or...use a browser like IE :( or netscape or mozilla those all have resumable downloads. .. safari get with the program!

So, you're saying that if I use FireFox or whatever Mozilla browser they have now, I can resume downloads? I have Internet Explorer, but I hate it dearly. I have tried resuming downloads with this as well, but it never seems to work. I want to resume where I left off, not start over.

You also recommended a third party software called Speed Download. Is there any freeware that will do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Actually, i believe Safari can do this..When you begin a download on a file, a file for the Safari download appears on the desktop by default(not the file you are downloading, an extra file which disapears when the download is complete).

When you are ready to pause the download, hit the (X) to the right of the download entry in the downloads window. DO NOT CLEAR THE DOWNLOADS WINDOW!
Keep that Safari file on your desktop! When you are ready to resume, open Safari, go to Windows>Downloads and the entry should still be there. Where the (X) used to be, there should be a sign that looks like a reload symbol, however it will not reload it will resume.

OP
O

Ofidian

I have tried to do what you suggested, ApplejustWorks, but so far all it does is reload from the beginning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Hmm...Mine resumes from where it left off:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Mine used to resume, but now only reloads as well...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.