iPhone drops Wi-Fi on accessing Internet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
I've had my iPhone 3G for just over a week and up until a couple of days ago everything was working fine. However last weekend I replaced my wireless router with a new one and now whenever I try to access the Internet the wi-fi connection instantly drops and i'm left surfing at 3G or E speeds.

The old router was a Linksys (can't remember model number at the moment) and was using WPK security.

The new router is a Netgear DG834G and if I disable all security on it then the iPhone will connect to the router and the Internet without any problem. Clearly though I don't want to leave my network exposed like this so if I try ANY other security mode then the iPhone will display that it is connected to my network but as soon as I access the Internet the connection drops.

Now I say that the iPhone is connected to the router but I'm not entirely convinced. The phone does indeed show the w-fi connection icon at full strength and if I delete the connection and recreate it, it will ask me for the network password and if I deliberately type it incorrectly it will tell me and when I enter it correctly I do appear connected in every way. However if I then login to the routers admin page and go to the page which shows Connected Devices, the iPhone is never listed.

I have tried restricting access to the router by MAC addresses and have entered the iPhones MAC address into the router but again, the iPhone tells me I'm connected but when I access the Internet the connection drops :Grimmace:

Now I am absolutely, positively, definitely certain that I am entering the shared key for my network correctly on the iPhone. I know this because I have used the same key on both the Netgear router and the Linksys router and if I just swap the routers over all comptuers including the iPhone instantly work with the Linksys router without changing anything but when I use the Netgear router the computers work instantly but the iPhone doesnt :Angry: :Angry:

At work we have a Linksys WAG200G wireless router and again the iPhone connects to that no problem at all so it seems as though there is something with Netgear or at least MY Netgear router that my iPhone simply doesnt like.

Anyone have any idea what on Earth might be the problem and what else I could try?

Oh and I can't go back to permanently using the Linksys router because that has a fault on it where it turns itself off after an hours use (think it's over heating). :Oops: :Oops:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
??? - first thing I'd try would be to make sure the router has the latest firmware version from Netgear

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
Think I've solved it. The router was set to mixed mode wireless b and g. I've now changed it to G only and now the iPhone seems happy again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.