VMware Fusion - Vista

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13.3, 2G iPhone 8GB, iPod Video 32GB
I purchased Windows Vista Ultimate from Microsoft as part of their promotional offer for college students.

After finishing downloading the setup.exe file, I purchased VMware Fusion to be able to run both the OS X and Windows Vista Ultimate operating system.

I cannot seem to get Vista started using VMware fusion. I believe it is due to the fact that the Vista setup file is an .exe file and must be converted to an image file (.iso). Is this possible?

Any suggestions or advice would help greatly. Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Was the file you downloaded a setup.exe file? I believe you have to run that file from within Windows and it will create an installation disk for you.

The installation disk may be in the form of an ISO whereas you will be required to burn it to a DVD.

Regards.

OP
excessive.mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13.3, 2G iPhone 8GB, iPod Video 32GB
Here is the next procedure I did. Using a Windows PC, I extracted the Vista file to give me a Vista folder with the setup.exe format within in. Using an .iso converter (File2ISO), I was able to successfully convert to entire folder to an .iso file under the name windows.iso.

Proceeding with this application to VMware Fusion, I am still unable to create a Windows Vista virtual machine. Any next steps I should take?

Here is a snapshot:

Picture2.png

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Where did you get this from? There must be instructions somewhere that tell you how to make a disc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.