What do you guys think?

Reaction score
Hey, I just wanted to see what you guys think of my first site. It's a site for my graphic design business. All criticism is welcome, and please tell me what you would improve. Thanks!
Dearworth Design

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Umm it shows up alright in Safari. Not sure what's going on with Firefox though. I just see the text with no CSS or graphics. >_<"

OP
Michael D
Reaction score
Yeah, for some reason it doesn't work with firefox. I'm still working on that.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
CR, I just loaded it in Firefox and it looks the same here as in Safari with no graphics at all. What version of Safari you running? Beta 4 here. It looks perfect in Opera though.

This is what I am seeing in Safari 4 Beta and FF.

Picture 1.jpg

OP
Michael D
Reaction score
Hmm. I'm using Safari 4 Beta as well and it looks fine. I'm not sure, ill look into it.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
CR, I just loaded it in Firefox and it looks the same here as in Safari with no graphics at all. What version of Safari you running? Beta 4 here. It looks perfect in Opera though.

This is what I am seeing in Safari 4 Beta and FF.

I'm using 3.2.1

I don't use Safari very often so I don't update it. >_>"

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Opera 10 alpha - looks fine. Firefox 3.5 b4 - no style (yes, I like alpha/beta software).

I took a gander through the source and didn't see anything that looked like it might cause any problems. In other words, I didn't see anything that was problematic for any browser other than Opera. Then again, I'm new to the web design game as is evidenced by my own site ;).

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Opera 10 alpha - looks fine. Firefox 3.5 b4 - no style (yes, I like alpha/beta software).

I took a gander through the source and didn't see anything that looked like it might cause any problems. In other words, I didn't see anything that was problematic for any browser other than Opera. Then again, I'm new to the web design game as is evidenced by my own site ;).

The thing with web design is that it's visual and it needs to be able to seen across all types of browsers. Otherwise people just see text with no images and no styles and that's way boring.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The thing with web design is that it's visual and it needs to be able to seen across all types of browsers. Otherwise people just see text with no images and no styles and that's way boring.
Agreed. I was looking through the source simply to see if there was something that appeared irregular to me.

Some people like "boring" as you put it. To me, Google is very well designed. I don't need images all over the place nor do I need a lot of colour. Give it to me simple. My web page has no pictures and little colour. This was a personal choice. The page loads faster than Superman and is easy on the eyes for all ages ;). Part of that was my new entry into web design and part of it was a choice to utilize simplicity as a design paradigm.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Back in the day when I first started to design pages I always used IE, Netscape, Opera on Windows and a Mac with IE and Netscape and Opera (Back in the OS8-9 days) and made sure the page I was working on displayed perfectly on all of them. The main thing I do different today is Firefox in place of Netscape of course.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm glad there are people like you who didn't take the "designed for IE" approach ;).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm glad there are people like you who didn't take the "designed for IE" approach ;).

:D

I have never liked IE but used it only when I had to but always tested with it to be sure my page would work. I was a big Netscape person in my early years and always messed with Opera also since it was so cross platform at the time. Firebird then Firefox came out and that became my new browser of choice. Pretty much all my friends feel the same way and only use IE to test or for some sites that nothing else will work with.

IE8 looks like it a bit better but still very not very Standards compliant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.66ghz + many, many more :^)
It looks like your stylesheet is not getting loaded. I'd try an absolute reference to your stylesheet instead of a relative one:
Instead of:

href="styles.css"

Try:

href="/styles.css" or "/pathtostylesheet/styles.css"

That may work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.