Reaction score
Hi,

I have the following plugged into my iMac

2 x USB TV tuners
Elgato Turbo.264
Keyboard
2 external hard drives
printer

I have a 7 port uUSB hub but it doesnt allow me to plug the TV tuners into it as I think the iMac has trouble seeing them on the hub, they drop out

Does anyone know of a really powerful 7 port USB hub that might let me move some things off the back of my iMac?

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
any 7 port, with it's own power adapter should work fine. There are a ton on ebay that you can look at to fit your desired look. They can also be found at the Apple store, but I don't think their high price is justifiable when compared to ebay...sadly!

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
I'm not sure of any outstanding USB hubs, but some food for thought from back when I actually researched USB (don't quote me on this)

1 USB port can run at 100Mb/s, however that is split between all of those devices.. That means if you're using a single USB port to run all 7 devices, you're probably robbing the bandwidth needed for the TV tuners. I'm not exactly sure what's needed to run a USB TV tuner, but I would assume it's quite the bandwidth hog as it's streaming video.

7 devices on a single USB port would drop the bandwidth to about 14Mb/sec (per device) at it's PEAK which is rarely achieved anyway. From a data standpoint, that's really not much at all (it's only 14% of the speed your tuners were designed to run at), you may want to try simply plugging everything but your TV tuners into one port, and leaving them their own USB port.

I assume the TV tuners work fine when directly plugged into the iMac?

It's been a while since I brushed up on my USB info.. I may just be crazy :)

OP
D
Reaction score
you may want to try simply plugging everything but your TV tuners into one port, and leaving them their own USB port.

I assume the TV tuners work fine when directly plugged into the iMac?

Your probably right on the TV tuner front, I have them connected directly to the iMac at present and its the only way to keep them going.

I usually get cheap USB hubs and i've been disappointed, so I thought a well built one might overcome these issues.

With regard to splitting the signal from 7 devices and slowing down the speed, the printer, turbo.264 and hard drives arent all accessing the hub all the time, would this help?

I have seen this item from Belkin, 7 ports over Wifi or ethernet (would use ethernet), anyone have any opinions?

Belkin : Network USB Hub

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Belkins are awesome, I have never had a problem with them!

I ad the stackable one from tigerdirect but it somehow just dies on me a couple of months after i got it, and it wasnt cheap back then.

i am using the belkin that dtravis7 mentioned. I picked it up on ebay for less than 14 bucks shipped on ebay. I have never had a better one yet!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.