WireShark Error - No Interfaces - MAC OS X 10.5

Reaction score
Hello,

I am relatively new to Apple and have a Mac Book running OS X 10.5 Leopard. I had installed Wire Shark but am having some problems getting my interface to become visible. When I look under the capture settings I am not able to see any interfaces. I am not sure what exactly it is that I have done wrong but I simple downloaded the file and dragged it to the Applications Folder. I read somewhere that I may need something called Mac Ports and I did install it but am not sure what to do with it. Anyways, I would really appreciate the help if someone is able to.
Below is the error message I get when starting the Wire Shark Application. I wanted to also have a terminal based network scanner like ‘tshark’ on Linux but I guess that is a separate issue, would really like to get this working if possible.

Code:
 The following errors were found while loading the MIBS:
-:0 1 module-not-found failed to locate MIB module `IP-MIB'
-:0 1 module-not-found failed to locate MIB module `IF-MIB'
-:0 1 module-not-found failed to locate MIB module `TCP-MIB'
-:0 1 module-not-found failed to locate MIB module `UDP-MIB'
-:0 1 module-not-found failed to locate MIB module `SNMPv2-MIB'
-:0 1 module-not-found failed to locate MIB module `RFC1213-MIB'
-:0 1 module-not-found failed to locate MIB module `IPV6-ICMP-MIB'
-:0 1 module-not-found failed to locate MIB module `IPV6-MIB'
-:0 1 module-not-found failed to locate MIB module `SNMP-COMMUNITY-MIB'
-:0 1 module-not-found failed to locate MIB module `SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB'
-:0 1 module-not-found failed to locate MIB module `SNMP-MPD-MIB'
-:0 1 module-not-found failed to locate MIB module `SNMP-NOTIFICATION-MIB'
-:0 1 module-not-found failed to locate MIB module `SNMP-PROXY-MIB'
-:0 1 module-not-found failed to locate MIB module `SNMP-TARGET-MIB'
-:0 1 module-not-found failed to locate MIB module `SNMP-USER-BASED-SM-MIB'
-:0 1 module-not-found failed to locate MIB module `SNMP-USM-DH-OBJECTS-MIB'
-:0 1 module-not-found failed to locate MIB module `SNMP-VIEW-BASED-ACM-MIB'

The Current Path is: /usr/local/share/mibs/ietf:/usr/local/share/mibs/iana:/usr/local/share/mibs/irtf:/usr/local/share/mibs/site:/usr/local/share/mibs/tubs:/usr/local/share/pibs/ietf:/usr/local/share/pibs/site:/usr/local/share/pibs/tubs

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,

Max

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
The status message you are seeing about the MIB's have nothing to do with the interface issue. Wireshark requires that you (the user running Wireshark) be the owner of the /dev/bpf* (or at the very least have permissions to use it) devices.

Easiest thing to do is simply

chown <user-name> /dev/bpf*

Fire up Wireshark and you should see the interfaces just fine.

Note, Wireshark comes with a script to allow you to do this on startup.

Reaction score
Thank you, this really helps, I will give it a try. Do you by any change know where I can find this script so that I dont have to run that command every time. Do you need to download it separately. Thank you.

Max

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
The script should come as part of the bundle you download. Wireshark comes with a README file, the location and use of the script should be in there.

Reaction score
Thank you. I will check it out. Sorry forgot to subscribe to this thread otherwise I would have replied sooner. Thanks for your help.

Max

Reaction score
I'm having this same problem, but for some reason I can't get it to work for me. I've put the file Startup in my /Libray/StartupItems folder, run chown <shortname> /dev/bpf* , and also run the script in the start up folder that comes with Wireshark. Might you know what I'm doing wrong?

Edit: I got it to work, sorry. I did sudo chown <shortname> /dev/bpf* :p
Did I do the right thing with the script? I put the .plist and the text file in the startup folder also. Is that right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Login as an admin user and try it.

Reaction score
Wireshark 1.2 problems

I'm getting the same errors as Max Avion. I was using Wireshark 1.0 with no problems. After downloading 1.2, I removed the Wireshark icon from Applications and deleted the Wireshark folder from Startup. (This folder contains a shell script that simply does a chmod 644 /dev/bpf* so it seems to be the "old" version of ChmodBPF.)

Then I installed the new Wireshark per the readme, and moved the ChmodBPF folder to Startup as directed.
After a reboot, I get the following:
Code:
Last login: Tue Jun 23 10:29:33 on console
TestComputer:~ walts$ ls -l /dev/bpf*
crw-rw----  1 root  admin   23,   0 Jun 23 12:26 /dev/bpf0
crw-rw----  1 root  admin   23,   1 Jun 23 12:26 /dev/bpf1
crw-rw----  1 root  admin   23,   2 Jun 23 10:28 /dev/bpf2
crw-rw----  1 root  admin   23,   3 Jun 23 10:28 /dev/bpf3
TestComputer:~ walts$
which sounds right based on the readme. Even so, I keep getting the exact error messages Max was getting in the first post when I try to run Wireshark.

I don't understand the Path statement in the error message. As far as I can tell, my path is:
Code:
PATH=/usr/local/mysql/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin
and the Command Line contents (not the folder itself) is in /usr/local/bin.

Any help would be welcome!

Walt

Reaction score
Solved

I had this problem while installing on a new mac and this thread helped.
Admin issues?
Try
sudo chown <user-name> /dev/bpf*

with <user-name> being your user name without the < or >

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.