System Preferences Icons in wrong place

J

jonah002

I have no idea how this happened and have been trying to figure out how to fix it with no luck. For some reason on my G5 the Expose, Desktop & Screen Saver, Print & Fax and Security icons are all grouped in the OTHER Category under my sys pref pane. The Expose, Desktop & Screensaver and Security icons should be under Personal and Print should be under Hardware.

Has anyone had this happen to them before? How do you fix them? I've tried to compare between my POwerbook and my G5 and I can figure out where the difference is.

Any information is greatly appreciated. This is not an emergency, it's more of a nuisance of why this has happened and I am just curious of knowing why it happened.

THank you,
JC

OP
J

jonah002

Now I see something even more disturbing. On my powerbook under the view menu of my sys pref the selections are (Show All Pref|Organize By Cat | Organize Alph | All my pref panes | Hide toolbar) on my G5 which is experiencing the problem the view is all different - Show all pref is not there it has Organize by Cat in its place and the hide toolbar appears before the prefrence shortcuts not after. Also, there are 2 entries for Universal Access. So it seems it is all werid, how can I fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Try deleting com.apple.systempreferences.plist

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Weird... have you repaired preferences? How about a reboot?

OP
J

jonah002

Aptmunich said:
Weird... have you repaired preferences? How about a reboot?
Both have been done. I can't remember when was the last time it was normal but it drives me crazy not being able to repair it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I'd try file system check. Restart (hold Apple S) to single user terminal. until ***File system changed**** stops showing, type /sbin/fsck -fy restart or exit when done

OP
J

jonah002

Tried that . no luck. Hmmm ... how does the system preferences decide where and how to show these icons? Below are two images so you can see what I mean. The first one is just of the system preferences and the second one is with the view list. You can see how it is all whacky!

sys1.gif

sys2.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
try dragging and dropping them into their correct places, or under view, try arranging by xcategory.

OP
J

jonah002

Macman said:
try dragging and dropping them into their correct places, or under view, try arranging by xcategory.

1. You can not drag and drop them in place
2. If you saw the list drop down you will notice that there are things wrong with it , especially the first 3 options are not correct so If I click organize by category nothing happens and if I select the alphabetically then I can not get it back to cat view unless I delete the pref file.

This is more than just a simple drag and drop problem. THat is why I have brought it to this forum. Please review the images well and make a comment on the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
hmm, perhaps your system preferences app is corrupt or just gone nuts, have you tried reinstalling system prefs app, you can do it by using pacifist to extract the package for system pref, better than an archgive and install, which may also work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.