Forbid New Users from Posting Links

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium MacBook | iPod Touch
I could have used any other thread to post this, but thought otherwise.
This could reduce spam. Maybe you guys know about this, just doing my part. ;)

Forbid Users from Posting Links or Images if They Have Fewer than 15 Posts

Just as the title says - if a user has fewer than 15 posts, he will be unable to post a link or an image within a message. This includes e-mail addresses and the system cannot even be fooled by the old user[at]email.com, we also locked that down.

Reduce your SPAM today!

It is a product. To install, simply import the xml via your Admin CP, Manage Products, Import New Product. No configuration is required.

Updated

12/05/2008 - Thankyou to Amykhar for allowing the future development of this modification.

Version 3.1

- Title re-created to make sense in Admin CP.
- Date updated added.
- Added protection so that users posting "user[at]user.com" cannot fool the system... <more>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Grand idea. Your post is spam!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Thanks for the suggestion!

Yeah, we're currently discussing this internally and requesting the board admins take a look at implementing this..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Thanks for the suggestion, however I'm going to be completely honest that I am absolutely not a fan of this approach.

We strive to be a friendly, caring community and restricting the actions of brand new members is not a feel good to me, espcially since 99% of them are not spammers and would be unfairly punished by the actions of a few.

We are constantly looking at ways to limit the impact of spam on this board, and the suggestion above is one of the things we're looking at, but to me, it would be a final option, and only if we were compeltely overrun with spam, which we are not.

Yes there is spam periodically, but overall our staff does a great job dealing with it in a timely matter, especially when users report it. But I would really rather leave draconian measures such as restricting the abilities of legitimate users as a final option if all else fails.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Well said Schweb....so many people join to get help with a problem and to not let them post a screen shot would really be tieing the hand of those trying to help.

Just my thoughts
Clay

OP
bikalpapaudel
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the suggestion, however I'm going to be completely honest that I am absolutely not a fan of this approach.

We strive to be a friendly, caring community and restricting the actions of brand new members is not a feel good to me, espcially since 99% of them are not spammers and would be unfairly punished by the actions of a few.

We are constantly looking at ways to limit the impact of spam on this board, and the suggestion above is one of the things we're looking at, but to me, it would be a final option, and only if we were compeltely overrun with spam, which we are not.

Yes there is spam periodically, but overall our staff does a great job dealing with it in a timely matter, especially when users report it. But I would really rather leave draconian measures such as restricting the abilities of legitimate users as a final option if all else fails.

Well, I am not fan of this approach myself. Why? Because we here are Apple people, and thats an inconvenience to say the least.

I just did my part, thats all. ;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Because we here are Apple people, and thats an inconvenience to say the least.
What does being "Apple people" have to do with spam prevention? Nonetheless, if you see spam, report it. I have noticed that the moderators do a very good job of removing spam very quickly.

OP
bikalpapaudel
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What does being "Apple people" have to do with spam prevention? Nonetheless, if you see spam, report it. I have noticed that the moderators do a very good job of removing spam very quickly.
Apple People = People who dont like to be bound by wierd rules, like not being allowed to post links.

I just said, that if the problem is pretty serious, this solution could be sought.

+1 to reporting spam and about Moderators being capable. I always report.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.