Can my mac play The Sims 3?

C

chas_m

Fan control programs can mask actual mechanical problems by making the other fans work harder, so yes -- but for testing and troubleshooting purposes they can be helpful on occasion.

Reaction score
Graphics Card

Hi. I have 12 EP/Stuff Packs installed (make that 13 if you count my birthday for tomorrow) and I enjoy creating new sims to see the new items. Unfortunately, I can not do that now, because every time I click on a different outfit tab, it lags for about 20 seconds really bad, and then it just fades away. Now a few minutes into creating, The music is still going and the interface is still active, but a white shadow of white ( as if it were a sun glare) comes up. a few seconds later it freezes and crashes. I don't know if its my cc, mc EP'S/Stuff Packs or if my Graphics card just can't handle the sims 3 ( although I get minimal lag of pretty descent graphic settings) Here is my Graphic card details

Mid-2013 Macbook Air

Processor 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 5000 1024 MB
Software OS X 10.9.1 (13B42)

Please Help me! :(:(:(:(:(:(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your graphics card should be OK and 4 GB of system memory, although not great, should also be enough. How much free space do you have left on your SSD and are you running any other programs at the same time?

Also, I don't know if you system specs are up to date, but if they are, you should update to Mavericks 10.9.2.

Reaction score
Graphics Card

Your graphics card should be OK and 4 GB of system memory, although not great, should also be enough. How much free space do you have left on your SSD and are you running any other programs at the same time?

Also, I don't know if you system specs are up to date, but if they are, you should update to Mavericks 10.9.2.

Hi, I have 40.11 GB free space out of 120 GB. And I can't tell if my computer needs updating, but I checked the add store and I saw the new Update (OSX Mavericks 10.9.2) And the only things I really have open is safari and Skype, if i was skyping someone, But I rarely do that while playing the sims. But I keep safari open so I can look up stuff. Should I have it closed when playing the sims?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
But I keep safari open so I can look up stuff. Should I have it closed when playing the sims?

Yes, shut Safari down when playing the game. Safari left open will start using memory that you really can't spare. You have to remember that your graphics chipset (Intel HD 5000) is actually "borrowing" memory from your system since it does not have discrete memory of its own. With 4 GB of system memory and 1 GB of that going to the HD 5000, plus what memory the system is using, is not going to leave much room to spare.

Unfortunately, the MacBook Air can not be upgraded with more memory, which is why we advise folks who are planning on buying one, to max out the memory when they order it.

Reaction score
Graphics Card

Yes, shut Safari down when playing the game. Safari left open will start using memory that you really can't spare. You have to remember that your graphics chipset (Intel HD 5000) is actually "borrowing" memory from your system since it does not have discrete memory of its own. With 4 GB of system memory and 1 GB of that going to the HD 5000, plus what memory the system is using, is not going to leave much room to spare.

Unfortunately, the MacBook Air can not be upgraded with more memory, which is why we advise folks who are planning on buying one, to max out the memory when they order it.

Thanks. I will try that when I get home from buying my new EP'S. I will let one of you know if it doesn't work but I highly doubt that because you guys sound like professionals ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.