Mac Software Business Statistics

Reaction score
I'm thinking to learn about Mac Software development. Does anybody know where I can get some statistics on Mac SW Development business in general? Things I'm looking for are somethings like:
How big of a business it is? (1-billion, 2-billion US dollar business etc.?)
What is the most popular field? (GUI Development, Networking, etc.?)
How does the job market look like out there currently? Shortage of qualified people or already saturated?
etc. etc.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
There are many mac software companies out there and many of them are small independents who make a nice living from it. I can't recall seeing any gross numbers though.

I'd have to guess GUI development would be the most popular simply because other items would likely be in some niche. The GUI is easy to code for but may take getting used to if you are coming from something like VB.

Look at job sites such as Dice and Monster. iPhone is the hot ticket right now. Search for the words Cocoa and Objective-C.

This link may give you some inspiration. The same author is on video here discussing Monster Marketing. Also 'Indie Ethos' may be of interest if you are considering that route.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.