• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

HD DVD Burners

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20
I regularly shoot video of my son for my family. I use a SONY HD Camcorder (HDR-HC7)

I import into iMovie HD / edit / share to iDVD and burn DVDs.
Of course I end up with SD quality video.
I do all of this on my Intel iMac20 running Leopard

I would LOVE to be able to burn HD / Blu ray but have not yet seen any news on any external burners that will work with OSX

Who has any experience with this and can share stories ?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Toast can burn to Blu Ray discs, given the appropriate burner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
I use a Sony HDR-HC3 and love the camera. I shoot underwater while on scuba. I would love to burn Bluray discs but I only know one person with a bluray player. To get around this I watch the videos on my AppleTV. To share videos, now most video hosting sites can do 720p or better. Of course that means that the videos will be watched on a small screen. I have decided to keep all original footage on the tapes until HD is easier to distribute. I'm thinking I should probably start printing final cuts of the videos to tapes so I can cut down on storing unused footage. Of course I still burn videos to DVD to share as well and they look good and most can't tell the difference, but I can. Some day...

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20
Sorry please can you take me through the steps from Camera to Apple TV ?

I import my movies into iMovie HD (via Firewire) and I can get them onto my Apple TV (via iTunes) but only by using Share / iPod and the resolution is not great in that case....is that how you go to Apple TV or is there a better route ?

Reaction score
Dvd burner for Mac and PC

Sorry if this is not the right thread....

Have been searching for an external model, firewire and DVD-RAM. I need it for my iMac 20" and Gateway PC. Most ads do not mention Mac-compatibility and those that do show buyers' reviews complaining that there was no MAC software included.

Have tried email help from vendors but never got a positive reply other than "all burners will work with both systems". I live in the boonies and must buy on-line and returning a useless drive is not a good option.

Thanks for any suggestion!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Try OWC for your browsing and then read reviews if you want - they specialize in the Mac market.

Just realize, there is no watching commercial B-R discs in OS X yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.