iMac issues...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb
Hi,

I am having some issues with my iMac. Things like, no start up sound. now I have one but its really faint even when the volume is up full and comes through my iMac's internal speakers when I have it connected to my monitor speakers.. strange..

User feedback when my volume is changed can be herd up until I open system pref then is goes away.. Note: I have it set so that I so not hear the feedback when I change the volume level.

I was wondering, I want to format but I have used time machine to back up.. what would be the best way to manually grab all my data from my iMac?

I plan to format both my iMac and external HDD..

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb
Anyone?? LOL

I already read up on some Mail stuff..

Mail preferences and messages
Your Mail accounts, rules, signatures, and Smart Mailboxes preference settings can easily be backed up.

Tip: All Mail-related preference files should be backed up or restored as a group.

To back up:
Note: These steps back up Mail preferences, but do not back up Mail messages (emails), although you can do that with the .Mac Backup utility. See below if you want to manually back up Mail messages (mailboxes).

Create a uniquely-named folder on your desktop (or other favorite location). For example, you might call it "Mail Prefs Backups May_15_2005" (adding a date is a good idea).

Quit Mail if it's running.

In the Finder choose Home from the Go menu.

Open the Library folder.

Open the Preferences folder.

Copy the "com.apple.mail.plist" file to the folder you made in step 1 by Option-dragging the file. Don't remove the original file from its current location (this file contains your Mail accounts information).

Close the Preferences folder.

You might wish to manually back up all your Mail messages from time-to-time. To back up entire mailboxes (where Mail stores messages), such as your Inbox, follow these steps:

Quit Mail if it's open.

From the Finder's Go menu, choose Home.

Open the Library folder.

Copy the folder "Mail" to your backup location, such as a different volume or burnable disc.

Important: Do not remove the Mail folder from ~/Library. If you're backing up to the same volume, hold the Option key as you drag the folder to make a copy instead of moving it (a "+" cursor appears).

You can restore backed-up mailboxes at any time by quitting Mail and following the above steps, except for the last step where you copy your backed up Mail folder to ~/Library, instead of from it.

Is there an easier way? And is this the best way to copy files/folders too?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.