Hard Drive Failing?

Reaction score
I have in my Macbook Pro and Western Digital 500GB hard drive and the other day after downloading a 1GB file I heard my hard drive "beep".. after searching Google all that I have found is that it's failing.. I have only had it for about 4 Months.... I downloaded Smart Utility and the results came back as Pre-Fail and Old-age ( here is a snap shot of the test http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z256/OSXnerd/Picture1-6.png )

Does anyone know what all that means
?

thanks

If it is failing what drive do you recommend I get I obviously am not going to get this same drive...... I need a 500GB drive... any ideas?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Seagate 500GB 7200 RPM HDD.

Link here.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
From the sounds of it yes.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
but is mine going bad???

Yes. Contact Western Digital and ask them for a RMA and warranty replacement. No need to purchase a new drive as yours should still be under warranty and replaced for free. They may have you perform some tests and give the results, but from the look of it, your hard drive is about to fail. Backup the drive immediately! Use something like SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to make an exact clone of the hard drive.

Regards.

OP
greenmymac
Reaction score
Yes. Contact Western Digital and ask them for a RMA and warranty replacement. No need to purchase a new drive as yours should still be under warranty and replaced for free. They may have you perform some tests and give the results, but from the look of it, your hard drive is about to fail. Backup the drive immediately! Use something like SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to make an exact clone of the hard drive.

Regards.

what are the signs it's about to fail.. I called Western Digital and they said It's out of warranty even though I bought it 5 months ago....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
Did you buy the drive new from an online store? If you bought it brand new 5 months ago, there is no way it is out of warranty. WD normally has a 3 year warranty on their drives.

OP
greenmymac
Reaction score
Did you buy the drive new from an online store? If you bought it brand new 5 months ago, there is no way it is out of warranty. WD normally has a 3 year warranty on their drives.

bought it from Newegg.... What determines if its failing???

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
bought it from Newegg.... What determines if its failing???
Clicking sounds (or any irregular sound for that matter) is usually a good indicator of HD failure. Also, any irregular activity with the HD could indicate imminent failure.

OP
greenmymac
Reaction score
Clicking sounds (or any irregular sound for that matter) is usually a good indicator of HD failure. Also, any irregular activity with the HD could indicate imminent failure.

the only thing I have noticed is after downloading a large file.. it beeped.. and the test i ran using Smart Utility showed old-age and Pre-fail

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.