External Hard Drive Problem

Reaction score
I own a 1tb Western Digital external drive, I partitioned it first thing and i use my mac side of it for time machine. Here's the problem, I can't seem to access it from my windows side. It has it in the device manager and says its working fine but i cant access anything on it. This may just be something really simple that I missed but I'm really missing those 500 gigs.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm assuming the Mac side of the drive is formatted to HFS+ since you're using it for Time Machine. How about the other 500 GB partition, what format is it? Remember, Windows can not read nor write to a drive formatted to HFS+ unless a third party driver is used from the Windows side.

Third party driver = Paragon NTFS 7.0 for Mac. Allows you to go both ways. You can read write NTFS from the Mac side and you can read write HFS from the Windows side. $39.95 Link

Disk Manager has the ability to "see" and detect a drive regardless of its format, however, reading and writing is another matter.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
+1 on Paragon NTFS. I would also look into MacDrive, it allows Windows to see a Mac formatted drive. I have both and am pleased with them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.