unwanted icons on desktop

Reaction score
I have 2 icons that I can't explain on my desktop. I'd like to delete them, but I don't want to cause problems with my computer.
1) Macintosh HD - I'm thinking this one is supposed to be there, but I'm not sure...what happens if I hit "clean up selection"?
2) Quick Time Player - I may have put this one there because I couldn't figure out how to use it. But now I have it on the desktop, in the dock and in system preferences.

Suggestions?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
The HDD is suppose to be there. You can delete the quick time off the desktop.

Nothing bad will happen if you click "clean up selection." It just organizes the stuff on your desktop to look a little neater than it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
The ".DS_Store" is a hidden file that saves the attributes of the folders on your computer. I'm not sure why you're seeing them. They should be invisible. Normally you would only see them if you were accessing the contents of your Mac from a Windows computer over a network.

There's probably a way in the Finder to hide them, but I'm not sure what it is. Otherwise, you might want to download a program like OnyX or SuperDocker. There's an option on those apps that will let you hide those .DS_Store files. (Just make sure that "Show hidden files" is unchecked.)

As for the Macintosh HD icon, you can hide that too. Go to the Finder and hit Command + , to go into the Preferences. In the window that appears, click on General and uncheck "Hard disks" That should make the icon disappear from your desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And with Tiger or Leopard you really do not need to show the HD icon. Go to Finder (in the menu bar), preferences and deselect show HD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.