Did I get a good deal on my iBook? AND can I get a bluetooth adapter for it?

F

fdb

I bought an iBook on ebay last night. The specs are as follows:

800mghtz iBook G3
384 MB RAM
30 GB HD
12" LCD
Standard CD-ROM
OSX Panther
Airport Card
Good condition

The auction came w/ OS CDs, an airport base station, AC adapter and free shipping for $599. Good deal?

My next question is can I buy any USB bluetooth adapter? Do I have to use the apple bluetooth mouse or can I use others?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
fdb said:
I bought an iBook on ebay last night. The specs are as follows:

800mghtz iBook G3
384 MB RAM
30 GB HD
12" LCD
Standard CD-ROM
OSX Panther
Airport Card
Good condition

The auction came w/ OS CDs, an airport base station, AC adapter and free shipping for $599. Good deal?

My next question is can I buy any USB bluetooth adapter? Do I have to use the apple bluetooth mouse or can I use others?

Thanks.

Not sure if it was specifically a GOOD deal, but that seems to be what they are going for, so you didn't get ripped off. Regarding the BT, a USB bluetooth adapter will work just fine, and no, you do not have to use the Apple units. Though, the apple units do look great, and have exeptional performance. ;)

-Chris

OP
F

fdb

bassplayrr said:
Not sure if it was specifically a GOOD deal, but that seems to be what they are going for, so you didn't get ripped off. Regarding the BT, a USB bluetooth adapter will work just fine, and no, you do not have to use the Apple units. Though, the apple units do look great, and have exeptional performance. ;)

-Chris

I was curious because the apple bluetooth mouse package states that you need either internal bluetooth of a dlink dbt-120 usb adapter. Is this just a deal w/ apple and d-link? The d-link adapter is like 4X more expensive than the no-name brands.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
fdb said:
I was curious because the apple bluetooth mouse package states that you need either internal bluetooth of a dlink dbt-120 usb adapter. Is this just a deal w/ apple and d-link? The d-link adapter is like 4X more expensive than the no-name brands.

Hmmm... I didn't know they said that. The experience I have is with my frind who runs a G4 Cube with some no name USB BT adapter, an Apple BT keyboard, and (I think) a Logitec BT mouse, but I could be wrong on the mouse. Anyone else have any input on this?

-Chris

Reaction score
I am pretty sure any BT mouse with work.

I think you got a really good deal, I have seen really basic 700mhz iBooks sell for that much on Ebay recently.

OP
J

JSchultz

mynameis said:
I am pretty sure any BT mouse with work.

I think you got a really good deal, I have seen really basic 700mhz iBooks sell for that much on Ebay recently.

And I'm not even sure why that is. You can get a restored/refurb 700 mhz iBook for 519 (cd drive)..

the airport and full CD backups plus the ram is a decent deal though. the refurbs come with no CD software, 256 mb ram, and no airport. so i say you did alright.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
I dont really think you got the best deal... You can get a G4 ibook 12 inch with a combo drive and OSX tiger for 600. Unless these G3's are selling that high as a collectible item???

Reaction score
MacMania55 said:
I dont really think you got the best deal... You can get a G4 ibook 12 inch with a combo drive and OSX tiger for 600. Unless these G3's are selling that high as a collectible item???

Check the date on this thread, it is over a year old. Yes, prices have come down since then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
i have that DLINK BT for my mac mini, before i put my BT/AIRPORT Card in it. Works just as good as the apple one. just cost less and you can use it on any PC or MAC you have. Look on ebay you can get one pretty cheap. Anothere reason they are suggesting the DLINK and the APPLE becuase they have stronger signal then others. but any will work

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
MacMania55 said:

Why did you post in a thread that is OLD as the hills? When he bought his iBook that was a fair price. Check the date on the message in the future please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP i5
I got my iBook off ebay: 1ghz G4/512mb/CD Burner w/ DVD with Tiger installed and the original disks, manuals, cords and box for $599...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When did you get this G4 ibook for $599? When this thread was first posted, your machine would have been a LOT more expensive than what you paid. You did get a great deal on it thouogh with those specs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP i5
Oh, I didn't notice the date, I just saw people replying.

Anyways, I just checked listings that were just added with a BIN hoping to find a good deal. And I did.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.