Best P2P Software for mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fdb

I've been a PC user since PCs were around but recently began using Macs for Quark, Flash and Photoshop and I took a liking too them. Long story short, I sold my Thinkpad T23 and bought a used iBook G3 800 mghtz off of ebay. Now I'm clueless as to what is the best and where to get it as far as software goes. I'm looking for a good P2P program and a free FTP program that's half decent. Any and all suggestions/opinions welcome.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
I'll use Limewire and BitTorrent for p2p and Transmit is a great FTP app although its $10-20 to register. Not a big cost if you're uploading alot.

OP
F

fdb

deus_ex_machina said:
I'll use Limewire and BitTorrent for p2p and Transmit is a great FTP app although its $10-20 to register. Not a big cost if you're uploading alot.
thanks. where do I get transmit? do you have a good site where I can browse all sorts of apps? Similar to PC's Download.com... Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
mmmm...beat me to it ;)

Reaction score
Don't forget to try out RBrowserLite for ftp upload as it's free and I like it more that Transmit and RBrowser it's big (pay for me) brother with more features.

Poisoned is a nice P2P client. :cool:

Reaction score
FTP Client
Transmit is great, and my preferred client, but if you're looking for free, Cyberduck is quite nice.

P2P
Poisioned is good, as is Acquisition. Both of them use the LimeWire, gnutella, and FastTrack (Kazaa) networks.

If you're looking for a SoulSeek client, I'd recommend Nicotine.app. It takes a while to start up, and the interface is slightly wonky, but it's the most stable slsk client I've found yet. soulseeX might get there eventually though.

Reaction score
I use Acquisition and i find it's the best... limewire is kind of a laggy program (not the downlaod speeds) and i can't even run it without it having to force quit.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
fdb said:
thanks. where do I get transmit? do you have a good site where I can browse all sorts of apps? Similar to PC's Download.com... Thanks

You can get a lot of espcially Internet type apps on www.tucows.com. Once there click on Mac then Internet.

OP
H

hmmmnz

i have lime wire and its fine for programs and popular music and movies, but if you like more random stuff, dc++ has just released a version for mac, i havn't used it yet but on the pc its great, i recomend it

OP
M

monkeymara

What's with poisoned?

I'm using mac mini and chose poisoned for p2p. It started off great, really fast the first couple of days then slowed to a virtual crawl. I can barely download anything completely now or get "nothing". What am I doing wrong?

OP
J

joeytomatoes

Snip
fdb said:
I'm looking for a good P2P program and a free FTP program that's half decent. Any and all suggestions/opinions welcome.

I use versiontracker for most of my source of software.
Gabos is the P2P I use and its free.

Reaction score
I used (link to Frostwire removed) for quite some time, it's probably the most popular and the most easy to use P2P client for Mac. Very easy to learn how to use if you're a newbie too.

Reaction score
you can use (link to Frostwire removed). It is very easy to use and very helpful. I often use it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You'd have to be nuts to use the Gnutella network. It's by far the most highly policed and malware-infested of all P2P venues. And since its primary use is to download copyrighted material illegally, and since this is a zombie thread resurrected by two one-post-wonders who appear to have an agenda, I'm going to close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.