Accidentally deleted /bin/sh

Reaction score
Hi folks!

First of all I'd like to say that this is my first post on mac-forums and that I am new to the mac world. I must say I'm really delighted with Mac OS!

I've played around a bit with Linux before using Mac OS, so I was scripting a shell script and I wanted to make it executable everywhere. While doing so, I accidentally deleted the /bin/sh :Shouting: ... I managed to replace my original sh with another from a friend with a similar macbook but it is a bit slower then my previous one...

My question: Is it possible to re-compile another sh that suits my machine?

Thank you very much for your time!

Best,
~tix

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I would just delete your friends, then reinstall os x onto your system over your current install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Restore it from the backup of /bin/sh you must have made before doing this. No worries.

OP
T
Reaction score
@PowerBookG4: That's a very drastic solution :| I hope I can find an easiest solution

@XJ-linux: I didn't do any backup at all.. Of course after that I started using the Time Machine - just in case I mess up again :eek:

Anyone got another solution?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
*face palm*

Doh!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've played around a bit with Linux before using Mac OS, so I was scripting a shell script and I wanted to make it executable everywhere. While doing so, I accidentally deleted the /bin/sh ... I managed to replace my original sh with another from a friend with a similar macbook but it is a bit slower then my previous one...

My question: Is it possible to re-compile another sh that suits my machine?

Since reinstalling is not something you want to do, the only other solution would be to find the same "sh" file to replace the one you accidently deleted.

Perhaps if you told us the exact model of your MacBook and which operating system you're currently using, someone would be kind enough to send you a copy via private email. The file is only 1.1 MB and could be attached.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Since reinstalling is not something you want to do, the only other solution would be to find the same "sh" file to replace the one you accidently deleted.

Perhaps if you told us the exact model of your MacBook and which operating system you're currently using, someone would be kind enough to send you a copy via private email. The file is only 1.1 MB and could be attached.

Regards.

I have a white MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo running Mac OS X 10.5.6.

Thanks for the tip!

Is anyone kind enough to send me the sh? Thanks in advance!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.