Ibook Charges to 43% only.

Reaction score
Hi.

Bought a new battery and charger, generic ones. They were fine at first but now however the battery only charges to 43% then the amber led turns off (instead of green) to indicate full charge. Is this a problem with the battery, the charger or the ibook?

thanks

OP
L
Reaction score
well i download that coconut thing, but being new to mac i didnt know how to read the info. heres the screen capture. and btw is it weird that i cannot charge the laptop i need to wait until it dies completely then reset the battery to get it to charge up again...?

Picture 1.png

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Well it isn't the battery. Which means it is either the mac or charger.

Trying running it until it goes into standby the recharge. This sometimes helps. Do you know anyone that also has an iBook that could let you use their charger for a bit?

OP
L
Reaction score
no, only person who has one, the rest are on windows. yeah ive done that but it seems to stop at 43%. ?? also cant use it on ac power..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just a guess, but since the machine will not run on AC power, it could be the DC In Board. I have seen quite a few old iBooks with a bad DC In Board. Do you have any kind of Voltmeter you can check the AC Adapter with and see if it's putting out it's rated voltage? If the AC Adapter if ok then I would bet on that DC In board.

OP
L
Reaction score
never heard of a voltmeter, but a few people have told me it might be the dc in board, on average how much does it cost to repair.? i live in australia, so the local apple repair store is one called "next byte"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.