hard drive not showing up on disk utility

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13'', 320GB, 2.26GHZ, 2GB
ok, so u bought a 320GB western digital internal hard drive.

ive installed it perfectly, but when i boot my macbook up and go to the leopard install screen i go to disk utility and my internal drive is no were to be seen.

i've restarted numerous ammounts of times but its still not working, but when i go to system profiler, it shows the drive as my hard drive so it must be regonized.

i dont have an enclosure, is there a way i can get it to work without having to clone my hard drive and buy an enclosure, all i want to do is partition it and make a fresh install of os x.

please give me some help guys, im starting to give up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
When you get to the instal screen, go to the task-bar under tools and open disc utility. You need to format/partition the drive, then you should be able to install the OS.

OP
MichaelBamford
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem is, when i go to the install screen and open disk utility the only things showing are the disk drive and the leopard install disk not the hdd

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When you say Disk Drive do you mean the DVD/CD Optical drive?

What Macbook is this? Also what model WD drive? It should show up in Disk Utility even if the OSX installer will not see it.

Can you post a picture of the Disk Utility screen?

OP
MichaelBamford
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To be honest i cant be bothered to take the old hard drive out, and put the new one in for a screenshot.

Basically its yoru normal leopard install screen but when click continue, usually the drive you want to install the OS to will show up, but theres nothing.

I go to disk utility and there is the optical drive with the leopard install disk and not the drive.
I go to system profiler and i go to the sata option and it shows the drive there.

its weird.

and im not sure what the model number is for the macbook but it did come with Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Are both the Sata cable and the power supply firmly in place

OP
MichaelBamford
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what do you mean, im dont have an enclosure. so there is no power cable for the drive.

if you mean the macbooks power supply then yes, its plugged into the macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
what do you mean, im dont have an enclosure. so there is no power cable for the drive.

if you mean the macbooks power supply then yes, its plugged into the macbook.

He means the cables that connects the drive to the Macbook internally. Is it plugged in correctly, seated correctly etc? I'm not sure what the guts of a MB look like, but I suspect there is either a single SATA cable and a single power cable or perhaps a combine cable that plugs into both slots on the drive itself.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am pretty sure there is just one cable on the Macbook that does both power and SATA. My Intel Mini is that way also.

That WD should work great. I have almost the same WD in my Intel Mini and it came right up.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Replacing a hard drive in a late model MacBook does not require fixing cables on connectors. You just slide out the old drive and plug in the new one. Afterward you replace the metal shield which was removed to get at the drive in the first place.

To the OP:

That drive should work without any fuss at all. Look at the rear of the drive closely and make sure there are no jumper settings. I'm wondering about that since the drive is advertised as being compatible with the Sony PS3 Play Station. I have a WD 320 GB drive but mine is the Black Scorpio 7200 RPM model - and it has no jumper settings.

If it's not being recognized by Disk Utility, it's possible you received a dud from Amazon. Is there any way you can test the drive without installing it? External case or adapter? If not, ask Amazon for a RMA and have them send you another.

Regards.

OP
MichaelBamford
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im thinking of just connecting it via an enclosure then partitioning it and using super duper to clone everything onto it.Is there a cable i can connect to the hard drive then to my mac or do i HAVE to buy an enclosure.

Reaction score
@MichaelBamford

I've bought the same drive (WD3200BEVT-22ZCT0) and I can confirm the behaviour you described. This seems to be a problem with the leopard installer since the my old "Tiger install disc" succeeds (HD detected by System Proflier and disk utility) where my Leopard Upgrade Disc (10.5.0) fails (HD can be detected by the System Profiler).

I endend up putting my old HD into an usb enclosure to boot into my old install. The installed Leopard (10.5.6) is able to see the disk in its disk utility. Being unable to do a clean install, I decided to clone my old install onto the new HD for now.

Out of curiosity what version of Leopard does your install disc contain? In my case it is a 10.5.0 "Drop-In" upgrade disk that worked fine with the old HD. I wonder if it works with a more up to date installer disc, especially since the old Tiger Install disc isn't affected by this.

OP
MichaelBamford
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My leopard version is the 10.5 install disks that came with my Macbook. Im thinking is there a way of putting my new HDD into my HP laptop, partitioning it ont here and putting it back into my Macbook, that way its already partitioned and i can install leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
You will not be able to partition it the correct way in the HP It needs to be formated to Mac OS X extended ( journaled ) I wpuld get an enclosure as they are inexpensive and check the hard drive that way but it sure sounds like a doa drive.

Hope this helps
Clay

Reaction score
Update: After getting several issues with waking from sleep, I decided to put the old HD back in for now. The WD disk works flawless inside the USB enclosure but my MBP definitly has some issues with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
I have the same external drive and had same problem. Have you formatted your new internal drive using the OSX disc? Only when I have formatted the new internal drive that it was recognized and showed on the desktop. Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.