Macbook Pro Freezing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Unibody Macbook Pro, 10.6.8
Hello,

My 17" Macbook Pro Unibody running 10.5.6 has been freezing a lot lately. It doesn't matter what I am doing -- it can be a CPU intensive activity or simply just checking email and surfing the web, with all other applications closed. It last from anywhere from 15-45 seconds, after which, I can see that the CPU was maxed out by checking iStat on my Dashboard. I have even rebooted and it still happens.

Is there a way to see what it was? Any ideas?

Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Freezing can be due to many things: Memory, video, software, etc. What I suggest you do is run the Apple Hardware Test on your machine. See the following Apple KB article. Link

If everything checks OK after running the AHT, check the system logs for any unusual activity. You might also want to keep your Activity Monitor open so you can spot anything that looks like it's hanging the system.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Unibody Macbook Pro, 10.6.8
Thanks for the advice. I will perform the AHT, but can you direct me to where in the system logs -- Console I assume -- I can begin to look? There's a lot going on in there for a layman such as myself.

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.