Newbie Question, Please be nice

D

dandy

I am currently a PC user, and considering purchasing the minimac this month.
I am looking at the deal from cancomuk which includes keyboard,mouse and a 17inch tft for £500.

I would like to know how easy it is for me to run both my pc and the minimac of a switching unit. Can anyone recommend one and better still am i on the right lines......

I have seen ones which control monitor mouse and keyboard from the same unit.... Surely is it that simple....????

Cheers

Reaction score
dandy said:
I have seen ones which control monitor mouse and keyboard from the same unit.... Surely is it that simple....????

Checkout Belkin.com for a KVM Switch, if you are using an a 17in Apple LCD, you are going to need one that switches DVI and USB, the model that does this is currently out of stock from Belkin though, check ebay. They aren't cheap.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
We accept newbies with open arms! :dummy:

OP
D

dandy

cheers

just checked ebuyer, they got one for 60 quid,,,... plenty in stock thanks for the advice.

OP
D

dandy

mynameis said:
Checkout Belkin.com for a KVM Switch, if you are using an a 17in Apple LCD, you are going to need one that switches DVI and USB, the model that does this is currently out of stock from Belkin though, check ebay. They aren't cheap.

when you say dvi, do you mean PS/2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
dandy said:
when you say dvi, do you mean PS/2

Nope. DVI is a video connector, for your screen. PS/2 is PC Mouse/Keyboard connector, which is nonexistant in the Mac world.

What mynameis meant is that you would need a KVM that has DVI for the display and USB for mouse/keyboard.
Allthough it's still not entirely correct...the discontinued 17" Apple display has an ADC-connector, which was a proprietary connector (it carried video, USB and power over one connector and cable) Apple used with it's old Display series, and which the mini doesn't have anyway. There are KVM switches for that too, but they are pretty rare and even more expensive than DVI/USB-KVM-switches.

Reaction score
ADC is a digital connector like DVI. If he has the adapter that allows him to plug an ADC monitor into the DVI port on the mac mini, then all he would need is a DVI KVM. Using a VGA KVM is just impratical because you would have to buy a converter that turns the ADC Apple monitor to have VGA inputs, which is very expensive. A similar device that does DVI to VGA costs around $300(http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?code=0151-VGAT).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
I really do hate the way Apple does monitors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Meyvn said:
I really do hate the way Apple does monitors.

I'm just glad they realised ADC was stupid and switched to DVI

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Dandy: Do you have an Apple 17" LCD?

Or is it just any 17" LCD?

I didn't see you mention an apple LCD in your original post, but the discussion that followed (about ADC etc) would be irrelevant if you got a different LCD that doesn't use a ADC port.

So to clarify:
----------------
You would need a KVM that supports USB (for the keyboard and mouse) and whatever kind of display you have / are getting.

If you get an older apple display, you'll need a KVM that supports ADC.

If you get a newer LCD (apple or otherwise) you'll probably need one that supports DVI or possibly VGA connections.

OP
D

dandy

Aptmunich said:
Dandy: Do you have an Apple 17" LCD?

Or is it just any 17" LCD?

I didn't see you mention an apple LCD in your original post, but the discussion that followed (about ADC etc) would be irrelevant if you got a different LCD that doesn't use a ADC port.

So to clarify:
----------------
You would need a KVM that supports USB (for the keyboard and mouse) and whatever kind of display you have / are getting.

If you get an older apple display, you'll need a KVM that supports ADC.

If you get a newer LCD (apple or otherwise) you'll probably need one that supports DVI or possibly VGA connections.

Munich, The only website i can find doing a deal with monitor is over at www.cancomuk.com, I can not tell from this weather it is an apple screen or not, maybee you would be kind enough to look for me and then advise me what KVM i would require.

sorry to be more precise on the link http://www.cancomuk.com/products/se...il=Apple Mac mini 1.25GHz Bundle&fromlist=yes

Cheers guys

Reaction score
That monitor has a VGA connector, you won't need a DVI switch just a VGA one will work. Sorry about recommending a DVI switch, I thought you were talking about a different package, one that came with an Apple display. You'll still want a KVM that supports USB.

OP
J

jonah002

The best way to go is Hide your PC in a closet, connect it to your network and when you need to use it just use RDC (a PC user should know what this is - Remote Desktop Connection). The client is free at mactopia.com and it connects to Windows XP great from your mac. No reason to spend money on a switch, just access your pc from your mac mini. And hide it in the closet so no one knows your dirty secret of being a pc user.

JC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, as mynameis said:

A basic KVM with VGA connector and USB ports will do the trick!

OP
D

dandy

Aptmunich said:
Yeah, as mynameis said:

A basic KVM with VGA connector and USB ports will do the trick!

cheers for all the help guys, cant wait to join the mac world

;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.