Keyboard is acting weird on my iMac

Reaction score
Here are the problems -- in Mail and Safari ONLY (no other programs seem affected) the space bar and keyboard is acting weird -- by weird I mean, letters being typed right to left, instead of left to right, after typing a word and hitting the space bar the whole page scrolls down and make a tone sound (like a error) but if I keep typing if goes back up to the line typed and looks correct until I hit the space bar again which again gets a tone and scroll down the page. I tried a new keyboard (both keyboards work fine on another keyboard) and the exact same issue occurs -- so it's not the keyboard. I restarted the computer -- same issues, no difference. It worked fine last night, no new software installed. And as I said, it seems to be only Mail and Safari, no other programs that I tested so far are affected. Any ideas?????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If i had that issue i would;

Check Sys Prefs/Universal Access for any odd settings.

Zap the PRAM

Hunt in ~User/Library/Preferences for Safari .plist and drag them/it onto desktop and close and reopen Safari and test to see if issue disappears

and if that works for Safari do the same for Mail after making sure you have a copy of your emails in case there is an Ooops.
By dragging .plist to desktop for testing you can always put them back if it was not the issue, just make sure you overwrite the new one when u replace it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
see here for zapping PRAM

Reaction score
solution to keyboard problem

Was there ever an "answered" to this question of mail and safari having typing issues?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.