iBook stopped recognising ram

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz 2GB RAM
I bought my iBook just before christmas with an extra 512 mb RAM installed, so this meant i had 768mb.

I've just looked, as the computer was running slowly, and its now saying that I only have 256mb. Its stopped recognising the extra ram. Any ideas why? and how can I fix it?

I'm not sure exactly what ram it was, as I didnt install it myself, but the box says:

512MB PC2100 SO-DIMM DDR266

Any help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Have you tried reinstalling it?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, I'm just having a read of that. It seems pretty straight forward.

Without the extra ram all my music software is running pretty slow at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Here it is…
You probably got the instructions to install the ram when you bought your computer. (maybe in a pdf). If not, go here and download the pdf for your iBook. The actual ram install instructions begin on page 55. Real simple to do.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=50014

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks alot. Do you reckon I should take it out, then restart the computer, then put it back in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That might just help if you reset the pram when you restart.
Remove the ram and restart holding down the Apple+option+p+r keys

The computer will chime. Continue to hold these keys until it has chimed three times. Then release. Once it has started, do a shutdown and install the ram.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Everything is good now. I took out the ram and then restarted.Put it back in, and it then suddenly worked. I have no idea what can have happened before.
Thanks, immdb

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.