Temperature control for desktops?

Reaction score
I've got a MacPro 1.1 with the infamous ATI X1900XT card. Unfortunately, before I knew it was a problem, the card managed to overheat a few times, which I've heard will permanently affect the performance. I cleaned it out and it ran very well for a long time until the rainbow lines and freezing came back. I immediately opened it up to see if it needed cleaning, but it really didn't. So now every time I think it's going to get a workout on anything graphics-wise I put an external house fan on it which is a decent quick fix.

But my question is this, before I go shell out some money for a new graphics card that may or may not have the same problem, are there any temp/fan control programs that I can use to help prevent or keep the problem in check? smcfancontrol doesn't work on my computer and every other program that I see is only compatible with MacBooks. I currently have OSX 10.4.11, so I don't know if that is a problem either. Thanks for any help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.