Basic Question

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a beginner in the world of Mac, and need an assistance with a basic question....
Can anyone let me know if we can rename multiple files at the same time, that is if I have a number of pictures, and I select them all.. there should be a way to name the first one and drag it to have them serial numbered.. i.e. for example: India 1, and the others are dragged India 2, India 3, etc...

Appreciate your help....:D

Di

Reaction score
There are two ways I know of to handle renaming multiple files.

The first is with Automator. Use the "Get Specified Finder Items" and "Rename Finder Items" actions. In the "Rename Finder Items" choose "Make Sequential" and then you can edit the numbering schemes. The problem I've found with automator is that it doesn't always preserve the order of the files dragged from Finder, which is kind of annoying.

The other way is to use a program called Name Mangler which gives you a lot more flexibility. Use the "Number Sequentially" option from the drop-down menu.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
The only way I know how to rename a lot of photos at the same time is to use Adobe Bridge using the batch feature. Photoshop also can do it, but I think only the CS4 version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.