airport drops out wont recognize wep key

Reaction score
My wireless connection seems to randomly drop out and when i try to restart using wep key it tells me the key is wrong and when i hit 'retry' it times out instantly,then eventually it will reestablish connection automatically but sometimes not for hours or days.I have tried restarting but no luck i just have to cross my fingers and hope.
MAC-MINI G 1.5 running Leopard using netgear dgn2000 router abgn

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
WEP can easily be compromised, I would advise not using it. Not only can it be easily compromised (cracked) the scheme itself is unreliable and troublesome. Go into your router and change the encryption to at least WPA and see if that is more reliable.

I also have a Netgear router which was setup for Windows using WEP. Same problem as you. Would not hold the key, the key would randomly change, and so forth. I have since retired the Netgear and use a D-Link instead. But whatever router you decide to use, using safe encryption is important. And WEP is not safe.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.