Copying a Time Machine Backup

HAH

Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently bought a Time Capsule 1T. Until now I have used an external harddrive with Time Machine. My question is this: Is it possible to move my Time Machine backup from my external harddrive to the Time Capsule so I can continue using my current Time Machine backup? If so... how is it done properly?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Here's one method - link

OP
H

HAH

Reaction score
Thanks a lot. SuperDuper is working on it now. It seems like it's going to do that for a couple of days at the current pace, haha. It's moving approx. 600-700 GB :eek:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Let us know how it works out. I have only used TM after I got a 2nd external. Still use SuperDuper! as my primary back up.

OP
H

HAH

Reaction score
Well... slow doesn't really cover it. As of now SuperDuper has been working for 14 hrs and 43 mins and it has moved 109,36 GB from my FireWire 400 disc to the Time Capsule. The quality and the safety level must be super duper, 'cause the speed sure as h... isn't :eek:

But I guess I'm beyond the point of no return here.

OP
H

HAH

Reaction score
Finally, when I got up this morning it was done it's now the 12th of May. So that's 3 and half days it takes to copy 644GB from a FireWire 400 HD to a Time Capsule 1T (connected to my iMac with a Ethernet caple) using SuperDuper. That's a bloody long time. It's now preparing the first backup directly to the Time Capsule and according to the article, this may take long. I'll just go to work and let it work on it.

I know it's a minor thing but I hope the backup drive icon on my desktop will become coloured Time Machine icon like it used to be. Right now it's just a white drive icon, heh.

Conclusion: If you have a large backup that you want to move this way, it takes quite a while. My iMac did nothing else in this time apart from synchronizing my iPhone a couple of times. For everything else I used my MacBook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.