Excel Mac 2008 - AutoComplete feature

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
One thing that is bugging me since I switched from PC to Mac - when MS Excel's AutoComplete feature suggests a cell entry, I used to accept it by hitting Enter or Return. So far the only way I have found to accept it in Excel Mac 2008 is to click on the suggested entry. This really interrupts my work flow, to the extent that it is usually easier to just manually type in the rest of the cell entry.

Is there a keystroke solution?

TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
One thing that is bugging me since I switched from PC to Mac - when MS Excel's AutoComplete feature suggests a cell entry, I used to accept it by hitting Enter or Return. So far the only way I have found to accept it in Excel Mac 2008 is to click on the suggested entry. This really interrupts my work flow, to the extent that it is usually easier to just manually type in the rest of the cell entry.

Is there a keystroke solution?

TIA

Down arrow.

OP
tiger roach
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
Thanks, I'll try that when I get home.

but... won't that leave me in the cell under? I need to go to the right...

OP
tiger roach
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
Okay - I got it going now with down arrow, then tab. I can live with that. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
There's also an option in Excel Preferences to specify which direction to move after you press Return.

Reaction score
My solution to that annoying autocomplete hop-step issue is to keep a copy of excel 98 around. We knocked it at the time for being to much like the pc version, but 10 years later, well, its just like the pc excel and you can right arrow to autocomplete. :) Of course you need to be able to run classic mode, but lets not go there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.