Resetting all data

Reaction score
My wife is buying a new Mac and we'd like to sell the old for whatever it's worth. What's the best way to delete all personal files and data without formatting the disk (ie - leave the OS in tact)?

Also, is there a good way to port all old info (iPhoto, iTunes, personal files, etc) from an old to new Mac? Might they do that for us at the Mac store?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
My wife is buying a new Mac and we'd like to sell the old for whatever it's worth. What's the best way to delete all personal files and data without formatting the disk (ie - leave the OS in tact)?

Create a new admin user, log into that user, and use the Accounts preferences to delete all the old users. Once done, make sure there is no leftover folder in /users titled "Deleted Users" or something to that effect. If there is, delete it.

Also... while logged in as the new admin user, delete the folder /Library. On reboot, OS X will recreate it with virgin factory settings and contents. Be sure to delete the correct folder. Do not touch ANYTHING in /System or /System/Library.

Don't forget to empty the trash.

Also, is there a good way to port all old info (iPhoto, iTunes, personal files, etc) from an old to new Mac? Might they do that for us at the Mac store?

Thanks!
You can do it using the Migration Assistant. Just connect the two Macs together with Firewire or Ethernet cable, then run the MA on the new Mac. I'm pretty sure the Apple Store will do this for you also on request.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.