PowerBook G4 won't connect wirelessly to network

Reaction score
Hey all,

For starters, I am not extremely familiar with Macs and the Mac OS. I own a MacBook Pro myself and know just enough to get by :)

Right now, I'm trying to get my friend's Powerbook G4 (1.25 GHz PowerPC G4) with 2 GB DDR SDRAM to connect to a wireless network. I just updated it to Tiger (Version 10.4) from Panther, and I want to do a software update, but as far as I know, you need to connect to the internet to do that (correct me if I'm wrong, because that'd be great! :) ).

AirPort is turned on, the network shows up on the list, so obviously AirPort is recognizing that it's there, but when I try to connect (I enter the password and hit enter), a box pops up that says "There was an error joining the AirPort network '[my network name here]'" It doesn't specify what went wrong or anything. I've triple checked the password, restarted the router, the modem, and the laptop, and still no luck. Went through Network Diagnostics as well. Also, I've tried to enter the password for each of the available password types. Still nothing. Currently we are running my MacBook Pro wirelessly on the network, and 1 PC, an XBox 360, and a PS3 are hardwired. We have gone through the network security stuff and added the PowerBook's MAC address (aka AirPort ID) to the list of things that are allowed to access our network.

... I really don't even know what else to try. Any advice?
Thanks everyone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Well I cannot help you on the wireless front. (but check to see if Tigers firewall is on, if the router hasd a firewall - you can disable the OS'es firewall)

But you can download the combo updater for tiger on a mac or windows PC and run the updater with no internet connection, you never know, the update may make the mac more wireless friendly

Apple - Downloads - Mac OS X Updates - Mac OS X 10.4.11 Combo Update (PPC)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.