Monitor advice, anyone?

Reaction score
The monitor for my G5 PowerMac (bought 2006) has died and I need to replace it. My local Mac dealership tells me that the graphics cards have changed (did I get that right?) and so I need to source a DVI monitor myself. They told me Samsung was good. I've found a few on the net, but I notice that a couple of customer reviews say that the monitors weren't compatible with their Macs. Can anyone recommend something compatible? Looking for 20" minimum and I don't need full DTP quality, just something easy to set up and use. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
Any and every DVI and VGA monitor is Mac compatible. You could just buy the cheapest one available, but it often pays to get a slightly nicer monitor with better image quality. I'd recommend the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA, a 22" screen with 1680x1050 resolution. Looks great, under $300.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you both, very reassuring. Will follow up both recommendations and see which can be delivered the quickest. And I won't pay too much attention to Amazon customer reviews in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
Thank you both, very reassuring. Will follow up both recommendations and see which can be delivered the quickest. And I won't pay too much attention to Amazon customer reviews in the future.

They can be useful, just be wary whenever you hear someone say that something isn't "Mac compatible." Most non-Mac compatible stuff only has trouble on the software side of things, but the hardware should still work. It's entirely possible that someone had problems with their monitor, either setting it up or it was broken, and assumed it was because they had a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB 13" 2Ghz C2D, 4GB, WD Black 320GB, 9400M - iMac 20" 2.4GHz C2D, 4GB, 250GB, HD2400XT, iPhone 3G
Dell UltraSharp 2209WA has an IPS panel that would deliver a much colorful picture than monitors with TN panel (most of the "lower price monitors are TN panels). IPS won't have those fast response times than TN does but it has a much better black level and a better viewing angle. Pictures have more natural colors.
Otherwise you could get a TN panel monitor with a glossy screen (I know that LG has some of those). The glossy screen intensifies the colors and also delivers a better black level. That means you pay less compared to a monitor with IPS (or VA) panel and you have somewhat comparable picture quality.
Usually glossy screens are not very recommended if you are working long hours in front of it because the mirroring (of course it depends how intense they are) on the surface might lead to headache (since the eyes continuously have to refocus).

- If you have to money, get a monitor with IPS/VN panel. Better picture but
lower response times. Especially if real natural colors are very important for
you.

- If you mainly play games, watch movies, probably get a TN Panel with
glossy screen.

- If you use it for work and a every day screen is enough, get a TN panel
with matte screen.

(At least that's my opinion).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I would stay away from Samsung myself. Both Samsung LCDs that I have had never quite lived up to the clarity expectations they promised. When I upgraded I went with a Westinghouse (yeah, who knew THEY mad monitors?) and it's fantastic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.